Dendroboard banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
It's been two months since these first posts and we've made a lot of progress, thanks mostly to the kind help of dendroboard members.
We've currently got four 20H tanks in the school. Two are in my room (6th & 8th science), and the others are with a 7th grade science teacher and a math teacher. All the tank hardware and the lights was donated by dendroboard member rjmarchisi. Thanks Rob- this has been huge!
As of today, all four tanks are planted. We were able to do this because of two very generous donations:
Brad and Marta (Dendrobati) arragned for us to get all the substrate and LEICA we could need as well as handheld misters to keep up the humidity and the fruit fly culturing supplies that will keep our soon-to-come frogs fat and happy. Thank you both so much! The kids had a great day playing in the dirt (not too common here in the city) and learned a lot about what dirt does and what plants need.

Mike (therizman2) sent us a huge priority box of tropical plants and cuttings from his company glass box tropicals. We were really impressed by the diversity and quality of the plants and are so happy with how they look in the classroom. FYI Mike - the kids want to know how so many plants can be purple!

At this point, I think that all we need is a few more bromiliads and maybe a coco-hut or two. If anyone has some spares, give me a shout- you'll be doing a lot of good.

Plans for the near future include possibly adding in Leucomelas and Variabilis in my tanks. Wer're super excited to get them in! There's even some possiblity that we'll get our hands on some eggs or tadpoles, which would give the kids a chance to watch them develop daily.

Lastly, I should get up some photos of the tanks- I'll try to do this in the next few days. We're closely regulated in what pictures we can post of our students, so for now you'll have to imagine their smiling faces, but take my word for it- these tanks are sparking the curiosity of a lot of middle school students. Thanks again to all our supporters!

P.S. - The 7th grade science teacher is leaning toward a snake for her tank and is curious if anyone has a recommendation for a good, safe species for this kind of enclosure, if there are any. Thoughts?

·
Registered
823 Posts
My variabilis have been producing eggs pretty regularly so If you still need / want them I would be happy to send you the next clutch or two + the supplies you will need to care for them as they grow into tads ( deli cups, some food, java moss, Indian almond leaves, petri dish, etc ).

·
Registered
38 Posts
P.S. - The 7th grade science teacher is leaning toward a snake for her tank and is curious if anyone has a recommendation for a good, safe species for this kind of enclosure, if there are any. Thoughts?
If the tank is going to be humid, you can look into tri-color hognose or garter snakes.

Other small snakes you can look into are rosey sand boa or western hognose. They like drier conditions though.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have frogs and plants as well that id love to donate, u just have to pay for shipping but there free if you want, sub adult leuc, adult CR auratus, all different kinds of tads, I came from a poor section 8 hood I love to give back to kids in need

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
At this point, I think that all we need is a few more bromiliads and maybe a coco-hut or two. If anyone has some spares, give me a shout

I have spare coco huts, as well as a bucket of cork pieces if you need some. What are you doing about fruitflies?

(Regarding snakes, I would recommend snakes that are active diurnally, or at least not hiding during class hours, and tolerant of a wide change in conditions. I'd look into corn snakes or one of the forms of mountain king snakes that are more active during the day. Garter snakes as a second choice, I'd stay away from green snakes as a classroom pet unless the teacher has some experience. I can get a 55 gallon tank if you want it. Pm me if you're interested or want more info)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Here's some pictures of the new tanks, without frogs (yet). Thanks again to all those who have helped out! Looks like we've got most of the supplies sorted and are really only in need of some bromeliads. We've got a few offers to send some over but are hoping for someone who is either local to NYC or who can cover shipping - we're doing all this on a $0 budget, so we're allready out-of pocket for some items and can't get reimbursed for anything.

Again, we really wish we could show you how happy our kids are, but we're under the impression that we can't put up any pictures with identifiable faces. Take it from me, though- they love these vivaria. We spent a while this afternoon carefully measuring out media and water to make fruit fly cultures and discussing the role of the baker's yeast in out-competing bacterial contaminants and maybe even make food for the flies. Who knew that would turn into an ecology lesson?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts