Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know where to purchase circular screens? I want to cut circles out of this glass lid and insert them for ventilation purposes.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I don't know how big you want, but in my college days, I used to get screens from head shops. I only remember seeing them around an inch or so.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Are you talking about the pop in screens we use in the arachnid hobby? Like the ones TarantulaCages.com carries? I have the link to the wholsaler, they come in white, black and silver and are 1'', 2'' and 3''/ I will find it and send it your way. They rent that cheep being you buy them by the dozen.

Michael

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Todd at TropicalEcos.com builds vivariums with round screens built in. I would try contacting him and seeing if I could buy some of the screens.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Get ac filter material cut to size of hole and gorilla glue in place I did that with 1 1/4 holes I did in my top.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you talking about the pop in screens we use in the arachnid hobby? Like the ones TarantulaCages.com carries? I have the link to the wholsaler, they come in white, black and silver and are 1'', 2'' and 3''/ I will find it and send it your way. They rent that cheep being you buy them by the dozen.

Michael
YES that is exactly what I'm talking about. Link me up please!

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
www.mcmastercarr.com

i still have tons of circular screens from an order i made a few years back.

the only drawback is that they dont give shipping quotes, or even tell you what it will be when you purchase, you just have to accept the price they give, but its always fair IME.

james

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
i'd be happy to but im not sure they're what your looking for.

they are about 3" dia. and very fine mesh (80 x 80 or greater)

james

·
Registered
826 Posts
Contact Todd at tropicalecos.com. His are tested and work great. They snap onto your glass tight and secure. You will work with him directly and you'll be supporting the dart frog hobby. I've got his circle vents in my vivs and LOVE em!!

Shaw

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i ordered 6 from the place i found. i think they'll be fine. if not, i'll contact todd

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Contact Todd at tropicalecos.com. His are tested and work great. They snap onto your glass tight and secure. You will work with him directly and you'll be supporting the dart frog hobby. I've got his circle vents in my vivs and LOVE em!!

Shaw
Only issue I see with this is your just supporting someone who buys up wholesale from the same places we can so how is it supporting the hobby? Is he giving them away at cost? I have ordered and used every single circle vent Ive found for years and these are by far the best......... http://www.bestlouver.com/ld-series-round-louvers-soffit-vent/ .......They come in multiple sizes and colors and the insert pieces come long enough to easily fit 1/4'' glass or could be trimmed down with a dremil to fit 1/6'' or 1/8'' easily. I've used them in 1, 2 and 3'' sizes and they are flawless. Ive been pushing viv builders to use these for a while. They are just nicer to me than using the screens that go clear across the vivs.

Michael

Reactions: parkanz2

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Only issue I see with this is your just supporting someone who buys up wholesale from the same places we can so how is it supporting the hobby? Is he giving them away at cost? I have ordered and used every single circle vent Ive found for years and these are by far the best......... http://www.bestlouver.com/ld-series-round-louvers-soffit-vent/ .......They come in multiple sizes and colors and the insert pieces come long enough to easily fit 1/4'' glass or could be trimmed down with a dremil to fit 1/6'' or 1/8'' easily. I've used them in 1, 2 and 3'' sizes and they are flawless. Ive been pushing viv builders to use these for a while. They are just nicer to me than using the screens that go clear across the vivs.

Michael
Thank you so much. I ordered from this site immediately. I'm having a 35" x 17" lid made for my tank and I'll have four of these bad boys along the front to keep the glass clear, while also minimizing the escape of humidity. I have another piece of glass that came with this tank (which is too small and which I cracked), and I have been observing humidity levels in this tank with the gap left by this piece. Humidity has been poor, and while I made a screen for this tank, I think it'll be just a little too much space, hence the need for the circles.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I am gonna be building a bunch of wooden Vivariums and I want to use something like these to be able to secure duct work openings into the Vivariums. I am am looking into an air Exchange system pushing in fresh air and pulling out stale air. I want the screen to be small enough to ensure nothing can get out..Not really sure that I am worried about fruit flies escaping since they are so small any ways..I would just hate to lose frogs or geckos and ruin Fans.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
https://ventmastersstore.com/shop/index.php?cPath=23_37

I found this when doing a google search once I figured out what it was I was searching for.
when I was making my own conversions from 20G--I went nuts trying to find these things...what size screens do you suppose will work to keep FF in yet allow good air ventilation. What I ended up with is marginally successful--but doesn't allow as much air in as I'd like. Part of the problem was drilling the holes and having the inserts fit properly...they either were exact matches or too small/too large...these sites look really promising....thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts