Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When should, or should u even, cut off dead flow spike of bromeliads? Its kind of ugly but it seems to have leaves coming off the base. If i cut it how far down should the cut be?

Also on a side note that same brom has a shoot coming off of it how do i go about splitting it and after i do that whats the best way to root it should i just mount it in the tank or what?

Thx

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
What species of brom is this? I am guessing a Vriesea. The spike is called a bract. The flowers come off of this bract. I usually just leave the flower spikes on, but if I happen to cut it I use scissors that have been dipped in alcohol and I cut as far down the bract as I can without cutting into the basal leaves.

Wait until the offshoot is about 1/3 the size of the parent plant and then you can cut it off in the same fashion as the bract. You can root it easily on cork if plased in a vivarium.

Justin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
brom

I was going to say just what Justin said. The "mother" plant will eventually die off anyways, so it's nice to have a plant ready to grow in it's place. If you do remove it, slice down between the plants and take a little of the mother plants roots with the offset. Makes it a little easier and faster to get it rooted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts