Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've got a few decisions for them. Once again, I'm a DIY diehard.

I have a couple of options. Perhaps you dudes can help me, as all my ideas have come from you all! :lol: My first option is 10 gallon vertical. I like the style, but not fond of the junk in front. I prefer to have screening in back and unless I have weld on 4 (which I haven't found) it looks ugly.

Plus, I'd need two holes drilled. My local shop does it for $20 a hole, but for the few times I'd need it, it'd probably be better than doing it at home.

BTW: I have been told by the aquarium shop, and by a few people that 10 gallons are tempered. However, I bought a new 10 gallon the other day with a 2004 brochure, and it says it is not tempered. Same goes for my 20 gallon.

Option 2. Once Kole moves out into his new custom cage (after the doors and plumbing are fixed), I have a spare 20 gallon. I don't know what brand it is, but my brochure says All Glass aquarium 20 (either long or standard aren't tempered). That would need two holes.

Option 3: Just leave my 10 gallon standard (its easier to light that way), except have a drain. Don't tricolors like to climb? They're in a critter keeper, and they spend a good deal of time on the ground?

Option 4. Get out my epoxy resin again, wait for the spring temperatures, and do another custom wooden tank. I could drill as much as I wanted.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I personally use 16 gallon tanks for tricolor. One easy way to put in a drain is to put the tank on its end and glue in a piece of 1/4 inch plexiglass on the bottom and you can put a fitting thru this so you don't have to drill the glass(its not perfect but works quite well). Aquariums arent temepered until they either get to 35 or 38 gallons.

Hope this helped,
Sean

·
Registered
327 Posts
10G are not tempered. The only reason the aquarium manufacturers use tempered glass is for added strength on the bottom since it supports all the weight of the water. Since a 10G holds very little water, there is no need to use the more expensive, tempered glass. Like I said in my PM, check with All Glass and forget everything your LFS told you.

You can order Weld-on #4 from here:

http://www.craftics.com/products.cfm?Ca ... n=18355377

or

http://www.thefabricatorssource.com/pro ... lvents.htm

or

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=131&

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FCA: Do you yourself drill 10 gallons and sell them? w/ or w/o the special acrylic doors? I was wondering about the custom options you have, as part of your company's inventory. I kinda like those doors.

Yeah, i do feel like I'm wasting a 20 gallon high for just three tricolors. They are no bigger than imitator or pumilio. I do have a 20 gallon divider, but i don't think it would be as nice. The drawback to vert tanks is the opening front. Little frogs are agile, and I'd hate to have to catch one loose on my basement floor! :shock:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Rain_Frog said:
FCA: Do you yourself drill 10 gallons and sell them? w/ or w/o the special acrylic doors? I was wondering about the custom options you have, as part of your company's inventory. I kinda like those doors.
No, I don't drill glass tanks. The shipping companies break glass tanks too easily, so you'll have a hard time finding anyone that will ship them. Plus they are so cheap locally, I could never come close to their prices. I do sell the inserts and can customize those to fit any tank. There are quite a few people on here that are using them now.

Paul

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright. I called All Glass today, and I confirmed that both 20 gallons and the 10 gallon leader ARE NOT tempered. But if I have to drill 4 holes (2 per 10 gallon), that's $80 there. :? I don't trust myself drilling yet.

I have ordered both types of Weld-On from Tap Plastics. Does anybody know if weld-on bonds to epoxy? I think epoxy is a plastic when it cures fully...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts