Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,180 Posts
As stated before, if a group is what you want, than Tincs including Azureus are not ideal. Some good suggestions I saw were the P. terribilis(of course), but they are a bit pricey. The other great option is P. vittatus, which IMHO is a frog that is very underappreciated(there is at least one thread that is worth the read if interested...). P. vittatus are active and will literally be in tune with you and watch every move you make. When you look into the Viv, they will raise their heads and look you in the eye. I love that. However, they are flighty/skiddish when working around, let alone in the viv.

JBear

· Registered
2,180 Posts
I want to thank everyone again for your advice a few weeks back. After a lot of thought, I ended up taking Dartboard's advice and now I have both the Terribilis and Azureus. After a couple of weeks, heres the breakdown:

So far, there have been ups and downs. A local pet store had 2 P. Terribilis for sale so I went with my gut and bought them. Let me start by saying they are my absolute favorite among my dart frogs. Bolder than I even expected. Absolutely no regrets about buying them. My only issue is whether they are in fact Terribilis or if they were maybe mislabeled and are actually Bicolor. I don't know their ages at all, but they are rather small and are a bronze color. Either way, great frogs.

The issue, unfortunately, is with the Azureus. I realize now what everyone was saying about the group frog issue. I didn't want a group per se, but I wanted pairs (not necessarily sexed) of each species. Well, my one Azureus, a full sized female, does not get along with her tankmate (unsexed). I even moved her (temporarily = less than 24 hours) into the tank with the Terribilis, assuming she'd back off. After she attacked them, I was forced to move her again. She's now set up in a 20 gallon by herself.

Basically, the Terribilis are great. As for the Azureus, I should have waited until I could comfortably afford a sexed pair of Azureus before I bought them. But I guess that's why I'm on the beginners' forum.
Congrats on the frogs! I am sorry you got a bully in your female Azie, but that is just the species' nature. As far as the P. terribilis vs P. bicolor, they are incredibly similar in appearance when young, to sub-adult. As P. terribilis grows, the dark back legs and flanks are replaced with the yellow/mint/orange. The P. bicolor tend to keep these traits for life.

I would love to see some pics!

JBear

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.