Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm relatively new to this board, having only used the site for the last 4-5 months. I bought my first group of darts (4 Costa Rican Green and Black Auratus) a couple months ago and they are doing great. However, they are still pretty young and shy to the point that I usually only see one or at most two when I walk up to the tank, and then they scatter.

Recently I decided to set up a new tank and get some more darts. My issue is that I cannot decide on one species. My main goal is to find a very bold frog. The ones I have in mind are Azureus, Cobalts, and Terribilis (Orange). I also considered Leucs but I find that I'm more interested in these other species. I'm still open to other species though.

If you were me, what would you do? Any input helps!

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Color is always a factor but at this point I'm pretty flexible. I love the colors on the green and blacks when I can actually see them but therein lies the problem. I appreciate the suggestion though.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I want to thank everyone again for your advice a few weeks back. After a lot of thought, I ended up taking Dartboard's advice and now I have both the Terribilis and Azureus. After a couple of weeks, heres the breakdown:

So far, there have been ups and downs. A local pet store had 2 P. Terribilis for sale so I went with my gut and bought them. Let me start by saying they are my absolute favorite among my dart frogs. Bolder than I even expected. Absolutely no regrets about buying them. My only issue is whether they are in fact Terribilis or if they were maybe mislabeled and are actually Bicolor. I don't know their ages at all, but they are rather small and are a bronze color. Either way, great frogs.

The issue, unfortunately, is with the Azureus. I realize now what everyone was saying about the group frog issue. I didn't want a group per se, but I wanted pairs (not necessarily sexed) of each species. Well, my one Azureus, a full sized female, does not get along with her tankmate (unsexed). I even moved her (temporarily = less than 24 hours) into the tank with the Terribilis, assuming she'd back off. After she attacked them, I was forced to move her again. She's now set up in a 20 gallon by herself.

Basically, the Terribilis are great. As for the Azureus, I should have waited until I could comfortably afford a sexed pair of Azureus before I bought them. But I guess that's why I'm on the beginners' forum.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The coloring looks like Terribilis its the size I wasn't sure about since I don't know their age. In some of the pictures of the Bicolors online I could barely see the difference in color on their legs so it made me more skeptical. I do have a couple of pictures though.

I don't know if I'm attaching these right, but there are from when I first got them. The quality may be a little off.

Poison dart frog Frog Organism Amphibian Terrestrial plant

Frog Leaf Amphibian Organism Plant

Geological phenomenon Art Photography Stock photography Landscape

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.