Dendroboard banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm relatively new to this board, having only used the site for the last 4-5 months. I bought my first group of darts (4 Costa Rican Green and Black Auratus) a couple months ago and they are doing great. However, they are still pretty young and shy to the point that I usually only see one or at most two when I walk up to the tank, and then they scatter.

Recently I decided to set up a new tank and get some more darts. My issue is that I cannot decide on one species. My main goal is to find a very bold frog. The ones I have in mind are Azureus, Cobalts, and Terribilis (Orange). I also considered Leucs but I find that I'm more interested in these other species. I'm still open to other species though.

If you were me, what would you do? Any input helps!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Color is always a factor but at this point I'm pretty flexible. I love the colors on the green and blacks when I can actually see them but therein lies the problem. I appreciate the suggestion though.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I will say this. I have had tincs and currently have a group of 5 yellow Terribilis. I LOVE ME TERIIBILIS!!!

They are extremely bold. When I feed them flies, they sometimes try and jump into the cup I am pouring the flies out of. (they are well fed, it isnt a hungry attack thing.

When I stick my head in there to look at the plants, or to see if a brom is sending off a new plant, sometimes my head will be within like 6 inches of them and they just boldy stare at me as if challenging me to touch them. (silly guys probably think they have all this powerful poison on them... little do they know).

Anyway, some tincs can be shy, so I would say if your primary motive is to get bold, your safest bet would be Terribilis. And one other factor, tincs are usually a pair, where as teribs can do well in groups.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The tank at my office has a pair of Azureus. The female actually comes up to the glass some mornings to beg for food. Other times she'll sit in the food dish and stare at me. They see me all day so whenever I open the tank, I actually have to watch that they don't hop out! They don't run from me at all. Really fun frogs to watch.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I LOVE ME TERIIBILIS!!!

Anyway, some tincs can be shy...
I agree with you on the Terribs! I love mine, too! They are big, bold guys!

But...shy tincs??? Really??? Every tinc I've worked with has been extremely outgoing and active. Some of them may hop out of the way when I put a hand in the tank...but some of them stay put too!

If you ask me...
They are both very bold. Terribs have the upper hand when it comes to being a group frog. But, Tincs win out when it comes to activity (and sometimes it can be very humorous!)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the replies! I think I'm leaning towards the Terribilis but I love the Azureus too. Ugh such a tough decision.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
As stated before, if a group is what you want, than Tincs including Azureus are not ideal. Some good suggestions I saw were the P. terribilis(of course), but they are a bit pricey. The other great option is P. vittatus, which IMHO is a frog that is very underappreciated(there is at least one thread that is worth the read if interested...). P. vittatus are active and will literally be in tune with you and watch every move you make. When you look into the Viv, they will raise their heads and look you in the eye. I love that. However, they are flighty/skiddish when working around, let alone in the viv.

JBear

·
Registered
44 Posts
My two azureus are out in the open all day. My two little varederos are much harder to spot. Azureus would be good for you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I want to thank everyone again for your advice a few weeks back. After a lot of thought, I ended up taking Dartboard's advice and now I have both the Terribilis and Azureus. After a couple of weeks, heres the breakdown:

So far, there have been ups and downs. A local pet store had 2 P. Terribilis for sale so I went with my gut and bought them. Let me start by saying they are my absolute favorite among my dart frogs. Bolder than I even expected. Absolutely no regrets about buying them. My only issue is whether they are in fact Terribilis or if they were maybe mislabeled and are actually Bicolor. I don't know their ages at all, but they are rather small and are a bronze color. Either way, great frogs.

The issue, unfortunately, is with the Azureus. I realize now what everyone was saying about the group frog issue. I didn't want a group per se, but I wanted pairs (not necessarily sexed) of each species. Well, my one Azureus, a full sized female, does not get along with her tankmate (unsexed). I even moved her (temporarily = less than 24 hours) into the tank with the Terribilis, assuming she'd back off. After she attacked them, I was forced to move her again. She's now set up in a 20 gallon by herself.

Basically, the Terribilis are great. As for the Azureus, I should have waited until I could comfortably afford a sexed pair of Azureus before I bought them. But I guess that's why I'm on the beginners' forum.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I want to thank everyone again for your advice a few weeks back. After a lot of thought, I ended up taking Dartboard's advice and now I have both the Terribilis and Azureus. After a couple of weeks, heres the breakdown:

So far, there have been ups and downs. A local pet store had 2 P. Terribilis for sale so I went with my gut and bought them. Let me start by saying they are my absolute favorite among my dart frogs. Bolder than I even expected. Absolutely no regrets about buying them. My only issue is whether they are in fact Terribilis or if they were maybe mislabeled and are actually Bicolor. I don't know their ages at all, but they are rather small and are a bronze color. Either way, great frogs.

The issue, unfortunately, is with the Azureus. I realize now what everyone was saying about the group frog issue. I didn't want a group per se, but I wanted pairs (not necessarily sexed) of each species. Well, my one Azureus, a full sized female, does not get along with her tankmate (unsexed). I even moved her (temporarily = less than 24 hours) into the tank with the Terribilis, assuming she'd back off. After she attacked them, I was forced to move her again. She's now set up in a 20 gallon by herself.

Basically, the Terribilis are great. As for the Azureus, I should have waited until I could comfortably afford a sexed pair of Azureus before I bought them. But I guess that's why I'm on the beginners' forum.
Congrats on the frogs! I am sorry you got a bully in your female Azie, but that is just the species' nature. As far as the P. terribilis vs P. bicolor, they are incredibly similar in appearance when young, to sub-adult. As P. terribilis grows, the dark back legs and flanks are replaced with the yellow/mint/orange. The P. bicolor tend to keep these traits for life.

I would love to see some pics!

JBear

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The coloring looks like Terribilis its the size I wasn't sure about since I don't know their age. In some of the pictures of the Bicolors online I could barely see the difference in color on their legs so it made me more skeptical. I do have a couple of pictures though.

I don't know if I'm attaching these right, but there are from when I first got them. The quality may be a little off.

Screen shot 2011-10-07 at 3.16.41 AM.jpg

screenshot terrib.jpg

Screenshot terrib 2.jpg

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I would bet on P. terribilis. Thanks for the pics! Great looking critters!

JBear

·
Registered
222 Posts
i love my citronellas! they are very bright, they climb (more so than I've heard tincs typically do), almost never hide, and are extremely bold! They don't get scared at all when I come up to their tank, in fact when they see me watching the tank they hop up to the glass and watch me too lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts