Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Epipidobates included.

I just cannot make a choice and all the frogs are sooo beautiful. The only thing I ask is that they be appropriate for a 20H (which I have 2 of, so 2 choices!!) and that they be appropriate for a beginner and not extremely expensive. Here the viv is, the twin is similar in design. Both still have until August to grow out, which is when I will probably add the frogs...

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
If you see a frog and you think "That's a cool frog," then you probably shouldn't be buying that frog. If you see a frog and you think "I _have_ to have that frog, it _must_ become a part of my collection" then that's probably your frog. It's definitely not a choice that others should make for you.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I agree with Smack, Its all on your preference. I can say I personally like Varaderos, Nominal Imitators, Orange Lamasi, Vanzos, and standard lamasi, But it comes down to which you will enjoy seeing in that tank the most.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you see a frog and you think "That's a cool frog," then you probably shouldn't be buying that frog. If you see a frog and you think "I _have_ to have that frog, it _must_ become a part of my collection" then that's probably your frog. It's definitely not a choice that others should make for you.
Any advice on what to do if love at first sight is your one and only reaction to all PDF's?

PS: Thanks everyone, looks like variabilis are popular!!

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
I personally like intermedius and really hope thats my next frogs once I have the space. I currently only have a trio of orange lamasi. All that I read about them said they are not bold at all, but I can find at least two of the three every time I look in the tank.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Nice vivarium but choosing frogs for people seems to be some new trend that rookies can't make a decision on. Understandable as there's a lot to choose.

In my opinion, if you want a thumbnail, stay away from Lamasi and Vanzolini as they're shy and not something a newbie would have fun with...

Variabilis, Imitator, Vents, all good choices. Pick whatever you like most.

Out of all my tanks I only have one thumbnail tank. Tarapoto imitators. Love the colors and they're a lot of fun to watch. Though as a rookie in this hobby I don't think they would hold the same fascination as they do now.

I just love the larger terrestrial frogs and if anyone wants to get involved in the hobby beyond a single tank, it's a real shame if they avoid species like Tinctorious, Auratus, Leucomelas, etc. Just my opinion. For care though, I don't think thumbnails are any harder to take care of. Just harder to transport of course.

I love variabilis and imitators. Intermedius and varadero are gorgeous imitators. Summersi is another I really want to work with soon.

·
Registered
527 Posts
imitators would be my suggestion as well. i have a trio of variabilis. i ONLY know they're alive because they poo on the glass. never see them except for when i get fed up and start rooting around in there with a flashlight. my imis, on the other hand, will hang out and look right at me. the varaderos even jump down to the viv floor when i open the door and wait for flies like tincs.

lamasi are really cool, but mine are shy guys.

sometimes the best bet is to get a 'wish list' and wait and see what comes available when you're ready.

enjoy the new frogs! nice tank by the way,

brett

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, it seems like imis are a pretty sure choice. I am a bit worried on the vents though, my viv gets to 81.1 for a short period in the day and i read they need cooler temperatures particularly to breed. Is this true?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Ok, it seems like imis are a pretty sure choice. I am a bit worried on the vents though, my viv gets to 81.1 for a short period in the day and i read they need cooler temperatures particularly to breed. Is this true?
A personal, clip on fan, for about $10-$15 at WalMart or Target would take care of that. Just set it up blowing across the lights and the top of the viv.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts