Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just aquired some of these. Anyone else keep them in their terrarium. If so, any tips? Ie- placement, lighting requirements, water etc.

Thanks.
M.N

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
orchid

Hello. I have never kept this species in a viv but have one in my house right now. It is next to a large bromeliad so it gets very little light. It is in spike right now. I have had it for about two months now. The house stays around 70 degrees. I mist it lightly daily and water it maybe twice a week. Let me know how it does in a viv. I would probably place it in a shady spot as it gets sun marked easily.

Justin

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hi,
This genus is interesting in that it has an abreviated storage bulb and thick roots so it combines some water storage abilities in the pseudobulb and the roots but not alot. It is also very leafy which differs from other genus like cattleya which has a large pseudobulb thick roots and 1-2 thick leaves. I used to grow plants from this genus and others similar in growth habit in low to moderate light with a mix of sphagnum moss and tree fern fiber at the root zone. I watered just before the sphagnum dried out completely. Also provide some air movement since the the leaves are prone to spotting and rot under poor circulation conditions. fertilize sparingly(frog poop should be fine).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts