Dendroboard banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have been learning a ton of what kinds of plants do well in Vivs
But so far only see lots about reg plants what about some succulents.

Are there any that are ok in a viv fist thought comes to mind its a water or juice or cactus type plant so the substrate is probably to wet but I thought I would ask.

Man there are some realy cool looking succulents.
I have only been really looking at local nursery's Lowe's and Home Depot.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Most succulents will do poorly as it is too moist. You might want to look at the Dischidia species of plants. I don't think that they are actually succulents but they do get fatter, plumper leaves like a succulent.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have done really well with epiphytic rainforest cacti. I believe Home Depot or Lowes sells Rhipsalis in a hanging basket. The species they sell is spineless so it will not harm the frogs. I think it is part of the exotic Angel collection.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I've put Christmas Cactus (Schlumbergera) in a few of my vivs and it appears to do well anywhere in the tank. It's a very slow grower, though, and I have yet to see it flower in the viv, even with bright lights.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Christmas and Easter cactus are dependent on day length to trigger flowering. Hence the holiday names

·
Registered
995 Posts
I use jungle cactus all the time [3 different rhiphalis species, epiphyllum, schlumbergera]...

Christmas and Easter cactus are dependent on day length to trigger flowering. Hence the holiday names
not necesarily, i have had easter cactus flower in december and around easter...

i also have this one succulent that i think is suppose to be a desert plant, but it thrives in the viv...

heres a pic anyone know what it is?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Zorloc, there are quite a few succulents that would probably do well in vivs. A while back I took some cuttings of a friend's Kalanchoe and put them in pots sealed in zip lock bags. They quickly rooted and are growing like crazy. I thought I wrote the name down but guess I didn't.

Many of the succulents that could potentially do well in vivs are epiphytes. Here's a list of a few...

Echeveria guatemalensis
Echeveria pittieri
Echeveria rosea
Echeveria var. racemosa
Graptopetalum macdougalii
Kalanchoe campanulata
Kalanchoe globulifera
Kalanchoe gracilipes
Kalanchoe ndotoensis
Kalanchoe porphyrocalyx
Kalanchoe pumila
Kalanchoe schizophylla
Kalanchoe uniflora
Sedum botteri
Sedum churchillianum
Sedum dendroideum
Sedum epidendrum
Sedum grandipetalum
Sedum guatemalense
Sedum jujuyensis
Sedum meyeri-johannis
Sedum neovolcanicum
Sedum reptans
Sedum ruwenzoriense
Sedum tortuosum

Given that they are epiphytes I'd either grow them in rocks or attached to branches.

Besides epiphytes there are probably a few smaller Aloes and other tropical terrestrial succulents that might do well. When I was up at the San Francisco Botanic Garden there was a smallish Aloe that was thriving in the moist climate. Took a photo of the name tag but can't remember which external hard drive I stored the photos in.

boabab95, your plant looks kinda like Rhipsalis mesembryanthemoides.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Omg thanks for the list it will be very useful

Chad
S.A. TX.

Sent from taptalk Sprint Evo

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
The major issue with succulents in a viv is (for the species that will grow) the low light and humidity make for really lanky plants. They dont look nearly as nice as when their grown in a proper environment.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I placed a kalanchoe in my viv about 2 weeks ago because chatting with the workers at a nursery they thought it would do well. I came home and researched it, but almost all that I could find was how they will not do well. I put it in there anyway because it's pretty and I'll take it out when/if it dies. I'm not holding my breath that it will make it, but for now I think it looks nice.

I took some pictures of the frogs last weekend and got one with them on the kalanchoe. Sorry about the darkness of the shot. I tried to lighten it a bit. The kalanchoe isn't that pink.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I went to Lowes the other day and they had three different species of Rhipsalis available in large hanging baskets. Hope this helps you out if you looking for local availability.

·
Registered
430 Posts
im absolutely no plant expert, but ive read good things and probably am gonna try
Nematanthus gregarius
it looks like a succulent but im not sure it really is one

·
Registered
430 Posts
alright tx
i ve got myself a kalancho today:) it really is a nice plant indeed!
i hope it will do good in the vivarium!
i paid 3$ for a very tiny pot but the plant look as big as in the picture in this thread

1 - 16 of 16 Posts