Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This looks awsome anyone see one? Can it be used for internal air circulation?

Aqueon 06131 Circulation Pump, 500 GPH, 2.6-Watt

Attachments

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
No, it has to be submersed. That is one of the new style propeller powerheads for water motion. It is designed for reef tanks.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have other similar stream pumps and they just don't pump air any good. But hey, go ahead and try if it's cheap and you don't need a lot of air flow. It won't be very quiet though.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I have other similar stream pumps and they just don't pump air any good. But hey, go ahead and try if it's cheap and you don't need a lot of air flow. It won't be very quiet though.
Yeah, powerheads run out of water are pretty loud. The magnets inside the pump will get hot and the pump will seize up in a short amount of time. Oh, and they smell really bad when they burn out, like an electrical fire.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I once ran a powerhead out of water and it didn't burn with flames but with a cloud of white smoke that smelled horrible. The plastic case around the magnet cracked wide open.

If you run it in your viv you should shoot video.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I once ran a powerhead out of water and it didn't burn with flames but with a cloud of white smoke that smelled horrible.
All machines run on smoke. I'm no mechanical engineer but I know for a fact that once you let the smoke out of a machine you can never get it back in and the darn things just won't run again.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
yea ok but i didnt see anywhere that it needs water cooling. I might get 1 to try for all thee naysayers, its only 2.6 watts so how hot will it get?
We are not naysayers, it just simply won't work, this is a matter of fact. That pump is designed for moving water, not air. It is intended to be submerged. The internals consist of a large electromagnet through which current is run which causes an impeller to spin. Without submersion, the whole aparatus will get quite hot.

But seriously, if you don't trust us "naysayers", promise that when you do try you will record the process for us?

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Here is a link to the product website. I suggest before running this pump out of water for any period of time you email their tech support and see if they suggest that. Unfortunately aqueon doesn't have a PDF available for that product.

Aqueon » Circulation Pumps | Products

I can however, assure you that this product is not intended to be run dry and that you will just burn it up.

·
Registered
287 Posts
We are not naysayers, it just simply won't work, this is a matter of fact. That pump is designed for moving water, not air. It is intended to be submerged. The internals consist of a large electromagnet through which current is run which causes an impeller to spin. Without submersion, the whole aparatus will get quite hot.

But seriously, if you don't trust us "naysayers", promise that when you do try you will record the process for us?
:)

bad idea DON'T DO IT. Just get a computer fan.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LOL okay i belive, im convinced, thanks for putting me straight. It does look cool though :cool:

·
Registered
46 Posts
LOL okay i belive, im convinced, thanks for putting me straight. It does look cool though :cool:
Yeah, from someone that has tried a lot of magnetic drive pumps and powerheads it won't work. Even if it didn't burn out, the noise would make it unusable. They clank and clatter a lot while the impellers bounce around if they are run dry.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
yea ok but i didnt see anywhere that it needs water cooling. I might get 1 to try for all thee naysayers, its only 2.6 watts so how hot will it get?
Wow, really? This is not opinion, it is FACT. First off, notice the brand name -- Aqueon. The very name is based on Aqua, which means water. Then in your very first post, then, in your very first post, you note that it pumps 500 GPH. Then you have a zookeeper assuring you it cannot be done. This is a WATER pump and running it dry can start a fire.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Wow, really? This is not opinion, it is FACT. First off, notice the brand name -- Aqueon. The very name is based on Aqua, which means water. Then in your very first post, then, in your very first post, you note that it pumps 500 GPH. Then you have a zookeeper assuring you it cannot be done. This is a WATER pump and running it dry can start a fire.
Yeah man cuz when a zookeeper tells you something, you better listen! :p

Doug, I snorted my hot chocolate when I read that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts