Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
I use cowboy brand. The chunks are a little bigger, but I just bash em up with a hammer.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
There are a few out there that you can use. Cowboy brand is great and can be easily found at lowes\home depot. Anything that is sold as all natural lump charcoal can be used. Put a bunch in a pillow case and smash it up with a hammer and presto you have charcoal pieces of the appropriate size for your springtail cultures.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
I use medium or large sized horticultural charcoal, merely because I can use it for orchids too.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Some Lowes do not carry Cowboy anymore. They have Frontier which works fine too. Put it in a pillowcase to smash it up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Could one use activated carbon instead of charcoal? I know that doesn't make sense for most but I have pretty much an unlimited supply of activated carbon at my disposal.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Could one use activated carbon instead of charcoal? I know that doesn't make sense for most but I have pretty much an unlimited supply of activated carbon at my disposal.
Yes, you can. I found myself in your shoes once and did the same. It's just a rather expensive way to do it for most.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes, you can. I found myself in your shoes once and did the same. It's just a rather expensive way to do it for most.
ya i tried use active carbon for culture, but at the end i find the chunk to be too small.
It will culture for sure, but i find it easier to harvest when the charcoal pcs are bigger chunked

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
ya i tried use active carbon for culture, but at the end i find the chunk to be too small.
It will culture for sure, but i find it easier to harvest when the charcoal pcs are bigger chunked
That's true, it does make harvest harder. I used to keep a coffee filter on top and just shake that into the viv. I small piece of tree fern fiber would work great for that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts