Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hearing that tads are negatively effected by having charcoal mixed in the substrate. Something about carbon leeching out the necessary minerals needed for their growth. Anybody know the truth behind this?

Luke

·
Registered
793 Posts
I keep my froglets on a substrate that contains charcoal, though there is a layer of gravel covering it, so I don't think the frogs have much direct contact with the dirt.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
I think that this may be due to some discussion on frognet. There was an incidence at the Philly Zoo where the incidence of SLS went from 0% to 100% (in multiple genera) after the instillation of a carbon prefilter on the water supply system. I am aware of one or two other cases of this that have been linked to carbon filtration but if people are worried about having carbon in their substrate based on a couple of different cases then I think they are overreacting.

Ed

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I heard that somewhere too. Not about the zoo...but that carbon filters will give you SLS. That being said, I use R.O. water, which uses a carbon prefilter, I've raised imitators, gold mantellas, and auratus, and never had any cases of SLS.

I wouldn't worry about a little charcoal in you're media.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was just wondering, because I have 1 part fine charcoal in my substrate, and upon reading that I was sorta freaked out.

Luke

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
While it is a possibility that carbon filtered water can cause SLS (as it was conclusively linked to it at the Zoo) it is a much smaller risk than of other causes (such as B vitmamin complex deficiency).

In any case I highly doubt that the inclusion of carbon in a substrate will affect the tadpoles as
1) all of the water is not being forced to pass through it
2) carbon is an indiscriminate absorber and will quickly saturate out with organics that contain double bonds
3) a biofilm will rapidly grow in/on the carbon limiting it ability to absorb items.

Ed

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Hi Dave,
There are many potential causes for sls in frogs. In digging through the literature the most common appears to be b vitamin deficiency but there are (for example) also reports of iodine deficiency, vitamin A deficency (or even toxicity), vitamin D3 deficiency, as well as parasite induced cases of sls.

Ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts