Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I've been contemplating putting my frogs on an opposite light schedule than what they are on now (6am to 6pm) . I'm thinking about switching the schedule to 6pm-6am. If I do this whats the best way? Leave the lights on for 24 hours? turn them off for 24 hours? slowly change it an hour a day? or?

-Tad

·
Registered
666 Posts
I left the lights on almost 24hrs. It did take a while for them to ajust a few weeks. The great plus was for me cooler temps in the summer , more time for me to interact w/ frogs ,I got home from work at 4pm lights out by 6pm .Not much time to water ,feed, ect.. now I can come home relax and then do all my chores .On the average day takes me 2 or more hours . Also I believe the overall health of my collection to be much improved . Due to feeding ,the frogs have the added advantage of being fed a hour or 2 after waking and all day to feed . Berore Ifed when I came home and then they only really had a little while to feed before lights out . Breeding has been rather steady also, the frogs have alot of quiet time (not much going on in my house in the middle of the night ) to do what the do .
Only negitive is when your friends come over and want to see your collection . Come over after 5!
I have had them like this for over 1 1/2 years ,and wish I had done it right off the bat .
Darren Meyer

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
you guys only keep your frogs on for 12 hours? I run mine for 14 hours for their summer seasons, and 12 hours for only a few months of the year. It is more consistent with their natural seasons. I have noticed more seasonal behavior with my mantella's anyway. I havne't got any old enough darts to really notice much difference. How they are right on the equator though, I highly doubt they only see the sun for 12 hours in the wild per day. Probably atleast 14 hours. Anyway, that is what I think.

Ed Parker

·
Registered
666 Posts
12 hours is plenty for darts . I've never really felt the need to change to a longer cycle to key my frogs to breed and or be healthy. Ido not know as far as mantella's are concerned.
As far as lighting goes for darts correct my if I'm wrong. In the wild not much light reaches them.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Why completely reverse the lighting schedule? Why not just gradually shift it? Go from your current 6 - 6, to 7-7, then 8-8, etc.

I keep my tank lit until 11:00 pm because most of my viewing is between 8 and 11.

Tim

EDIT: To correctly spell shift, sorry.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
I'm wondering if gradually shifting it would be less stressful... or not worth it. As to why completely shift it? well I often feed/check on the frogs before going to work. I'm thinking 6:30-6:30, would allow me to check on them in the morning and in the evening afterwork. Additionally I have about 300-400 watts of lighting running for about 12hours a day, and from what I understand the price of a kw/hr goes down during non-peak useage (at night). So over the course of the month might save a few dollars.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Tim the reason for compleatly changing the lighting schedule is stated above . For some it is much easyier to care for a large collection as in my case . Another point to which I diden't touch on is like what tad604 stated power is off peak , Also when Ihad lights on @ norm times I kept poping breakers if I did a load of cloths ,washed dishes ect...
As far as changing my lights all at once , the frogs probally thought that the sky was falling,and had an overwhelming sence of an impending doom . They really diden't seem to notice. :D
Darren

1 - 7 of 7 Posts