Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 red eyed tree frogs and really enjoy watching them. Unfortunately I find my self staying up veryyy late just to observe and make sure everyone is healthy and eating. Not that this is too much of an issue, I knew that I was purchasing nocturnal animals when I bought them. But I have heard that zoos will often purposely change the sleep cycle of their nocturnal animals so that they can be viewed during the day....So it made me think maybe it could be an option for my tree frogs. The way I have heard of this being accomplished is by leaving their terrarium light on all night and then having the light off during the day. I guess this is assuming the other lights in the room during the day are not too bright and that the frogs will believe that is their "night time". I know this is unnatural for them, and certainly wouldn't want to cause any health problems or anything like that. If I did try this I would make sure to ease them into the new sleep cycle by changing their day/night time by 1 hour every day or so until they are awake during the hours I am awake. That way they don't all of a sudden have a very strange 24 hour day! Any thoughts on this? Has anyone tried it with their frogs? What repercussions (if any) could you see coming up because of this?

·
Registered
353 Posts
At my zoo, this never worked.

I decided to put my frogs in the bathroom for the heat/humidity when I take a shower. As soon as I took one, both were up and exploring and soaking. Maybe just try misting before you go to bed and see if that helps?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Reactions: AZimm

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I don't have any tree frogs, but all of my darts are kept on a reverse cycle. I kept the lights off for 24-36 hours when I made the change. Now, the lights come on in the frog room at 5:30 PM and turn off at 5:30 AM. The frogs adapted just fine and I can watch and enjoy them all I want when I get home from work. The lights are off by the time I get up for work and everyone is back tucked into their broms sleeping. I would have assumed that this should be possible for tree frogs too. I even keep my Jackson's chameleon on the same cycle. It took him a few days to adapt, but he is doing fine now.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Red-eyes are technically crepuscular (active at dawn & dusk). I would mist them 1st thing in the morning and again in the evening when I fed them. You can always add a night bulb if you enjoy watching them. I have not kept them in years but they are great and beautiful frogs. Never gets old watching them open their eyes. Good luck and enjoy your froggies.

·
Registered
54 Posts
When I moved from the UK to Canada I had my frog collection shipped over as well. They adapted fairly quickly to the time zone change of 5 hours behind.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think there's a rule or something that for every hour that a human needs to adapt to, is one day that it takes to adapt. Ex: it would take 3 days to adapt to a country that's 3 hours behind your original time zone. I'm not sure if it would work for frogs, but try turning on the light one hour earlier/later over 12 days and eventually switch their cycle

·
Registered
224 Posts
It will or should work. I have done it myself with red eyes and some other frogs. But I found it to be a pain to have to make sure other lights were off or not near the tank. So I just went back to a regular light cycle. Red eyes are hardy tree frogs. There should be no problem in changing them over gradually.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts