Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know if you need to scrap a viv and start all over or can you sell your frogs and start a new breeding group in the same viv provided there are no parasites or unexplained deaths?

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Just wanted to know if you need to scrap a viv and start all over or can you sell your frogs and start a new breeding group in the same viv provided there are no parasites or unexplained deaths?
It isn't the best practice to do that.. that doesn't resolve potential novel pathogen/parasite exposure nor does the lack of deaths indicate that the frogs were not carrying something.

Ed

·
Registered
309 Posts
I try to use the same viv only for offspring from a given pair of frogs. I have discussed this topic with several people who've been in the hobby for years and a couple of breeders. If a viv is going to be recycled they will at least remove the contents less the foam wall, clean everything & replace the substrate. Keep in mind what Ed said though; this could still expose your new inhabitants to parasites & pathogens that were present. If you examine the water from one of your tanks under a microscope you’ll almost want to tear it down though. I have a couple of very nice tanks that I want to move other frogs into; they are well landscaped and took weeks to build, I hate to tear them down and soak the plants in bleach but I can’t risk exposing the new inhabitants.
Brian

·
Registered
128 Posts
Not trying to start a fight or anything, just throwing out a question. What is the difference between taking frogs out of a tank and putting others in it as proposed here, or when introducing more frogs into an established group such as adding more Leucomelas into an established group?

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
There isn't anything stated in the OP's post that indicates that it is the same type of frog...since nothing was stated, the conservative approach would be to not add the frogs regardless since nothing was done to confirm whether there any pathogens or parasites in the original frogs.

but regardless of whether it is the same type or not, addition of the frogs to an established group shouldn't occur unless/until the frogs have been quarantined and checked...

Ed

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I'm guilty of swapping a few frogs early on, before I'd been properly indoctrinated. :p

Now, with the exception of parents and offspring, the tanks get broken down and sanitized. It's just not worth the risk to me. I use very little adhesive in the tanks, though. Gravity holds the PVC and eggcrate in place, and clay to seal up any holes and to make a background. This is easily scraped off and disposed of (double bagged and to the landfill, right Ed?).

I don't know how much it helps, as my frog room is hardly a sterile lab. Worth it to do what you can, though, IMO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts