Dendroboard banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a thought today concerning washed out colors in Tricolors, after reading the part about the red not coming out as vibrant as the parents in the new professional breeders series book I wondered why this seems to be somewhat true. I had gotten tricolors twentysome years ago from Dr.Bertram which held their colors as did the offspring, and we did not have the knowledge or the equipment that we are fortunate to have today. I have read where others with the help of paprika have kept their frogs color vibrant, while others like a friend of mine seemed to have his Isabels look more like Antonyi even though they came from very reputable breeders, even past the two year mark they were dark. In nature I assume diet, lighting, and other natural causes are why they produce that cherry red color. The use of paprika is a common method of helping in this department, and I was wondering if the use of powdered food color mixed in the dusting powders would be an alternative. I have worked for a major food company for over twenty five years and have access to FDA approved powdered color and wondered if this was feasible. I am not suggesting use purple to make your Azureus a deeper color, or orange to make your Giant Oranges brighter, when I use to breed Discus we had a problem with people coloring their fish with color loaded diets and what was thought to be a new strain within a few months became a basic brown fish, which caused alot of controversy among breeders. I am not suggesting that this practice is moraly correct, or feasible, and I most certainly do not want to ruffle any feathers, its just a thought. Kieth

1 - 2 of 2 Posts