Dendroboard banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Yup, and love em. I just raised the fixture a little bit to allow airflow and so far no heat problems. I use the daylight bulb, because the rest are too red and looks ugly when used.

Ryan

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Welcome to fruit fly hut, can I take you're order? :lol:

The inside, painted with white enamel. The black spot in the middle is a fan.

Best wishes,

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
No problems really, but I did raise it off the top of the glass with a piece of eggcrate.
To me, it seems like the light intensity dies down fairly quick, anyone know how long these are supposed to have a useful (for this type of application) life? I know I have bulbs in the house that are over 5 years old and still work, but I highly doubt they put out close to what they used to.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
What brand do we use here? I saw at Walmart for about $4 a full spec aquarium screw in CF.

And, what wattage sizes are available? I do have a "twister" / spiral bulb that I used to use, but the light looked a bit yellow and the plants never really grew under it. I assumed it was too low in kelvin rating and lumen output.
wait.....yeah, I did grow a few basil and chamomile seedlings once quite well underneath them. But because of that spiral shape, wouldn't they produce less output, not spread out like a longer bulb from AHSupply?

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I use the commercial electric model EDXOS-19. It is a spiral type screw in with a colot temp of 6500K, you can find them at home depot, and probably any other place that carrys large selections of bulbs. These come in a light blue package that says daylight something or other.
When I first re-entered the hobby, I spent twenty some dollars on the specially made UV compact screw ins. Later I heard some one ran a test and bulbs like these put out about the same amount of UV.
Since building that unit, I've found some linear type compacts that would fit on top of the tank. Someday I'll build a new one, as I don't like the pizza hut look, and I think you do lose some light in the twist bulbs, but for a quick, cheap, and effective light, it's hard to beat a screw in CF in a clamp lamp.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I remember using a screw in over a ten gallon "practice" vivarium when Ifirst started the hobby. I noticed that they do produce a fair amount of heat. I wasn't too crazy about they yellowish lighting compared to GE reveal bulbs.

Question. What is the kelvin rating for GE reveal bulbs? They are nice for accent lamps in vivarium, really brighten colors up. I used to use it to create a mild heat lamp in my tinc cage, and noticed it really does look nice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts