Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While finishing up my waterfall on my build I noticed that when the mortar is slopped on it kindof looks like clay so for those who are looking for a more water resistant alternative to kitty litter why not use cement?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
While finishing up my waterfall on my build I noticed that when the mortar is slopped on it kindof looks like clay so for those who are looking for a more water resistant alternative to kitty litter why not use cement?
Um cement will drag the clay down....
I'm pretty sure cement won't stick to glass well.
no one likes to mess with having to neutralize the pH of the cement....
Clay holds moisture....clay helps with humidity.
Cement doesn hold moisture.
it is an extremely bad idea

·
Registered
10,415 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
In aquaria, you don't have to seal it, but if you don't, it will leach alkalinity for awhile. Folks using it in aquaria often soak it, changing water often until the pH comes down. Others will seal it with drylock or something of that nature. When I some-day build a viv, I love the look of the clay backgrounds, but I would not expect it to hold up to repeated applications of an afternoon rainshower, so I'll likely end up with styro-crete or perhaps even hypertufa.

-GB

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
. When I some-day build a viv, I love the look of the clay backgrounds, but I would not expect it to hold up to repeated applications of an afternoon rainshower,
-GB
This is very dependent on the clay used, how it is applied and the frequency of misting. I've used it for drip walls with great success but then I took my time to establish it....

Ed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.