Dendroboard banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep hearing conflicting stories about whether or not "true" Cayo de Aqua and Yellow Bellies are one in the same, but nobody has been able to give an in depth answer. Are these the same frog with a slight color variation that should be bred together or are they from entirely different locales that should be kept separate?

·
Banned
579 Posts
One of the hobbies million $$$ questions.....I got a pair of each....and there is no way to say whats what..:.. Imo....same frog, just a fella who had no clue where ge was when he decided to bring them in. Whats the rule of distance between compatible breeding locales? I would love to know

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Although I think they are one in the same, I think we need to keep them seperate for now. There are enough frogs in both populations present in the hobby to breed successfully...just my opinion

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, darn... I was expecting a much more in depth response involving import years and all that jazz. It's a shame we don't know more about these, but I agree about keeping them separate as well.

If anyone has some female "true" Cayo de Aqua shoot me a PM. I have some calling bachelors that need a date.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
True Cayo de Aguas are site specific. They were imported by individuals who kepts detailed records on where they were collected. My understanding is that "yellow bellies" are likely the same locality, but they were imported by individuals who did not keep such records.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
ohhhhh so i CAN mix them !!!!!! i see a new project in my future. ;)

james
I want very green backs and high yellow on the bellies! OH and see if you can get their legs somewhat purple. Thatll fetch a pretty penny.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
True Cayo de Aguas are site specific. They were imported by individuals who kepts detailed records on where they were collected. My understanding is that "yellow bellies" are likely the same locality, but they were imported by individuals who did not keep such records.
Great! Thanks for that!

I got a pair of CDA's that are more blue-grayish on the bellies than yellow
My Cayo de Aqua have mostly blueish gray legs with a lighter green belly. If you could post pics of yours that would be great. :)

·
Premium Member
5,602 Posts
The late Chris vd Lingen was aware of multiple different locales on Cayo de Aqua so it is NOT possible to say CDA and YB are the same locale....maybe they are, maybe not. They were imported in different years....

and even in the same locale you can see greenlegs, brown legs, blue legs CDA.

Having had a good sampling of pums during the trip with Chris and Blk Jungle, I can say that those who name frogs based upon 'looks like' or minor phenotypical difference are more likely then not to be mistaken.

We didnt see a single true 'Farm' while in Panama btw.....

S

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really wasn't suggesting that we categorize by color. I was just curious to see another Cayo de Aqua that varied from my own. That's all.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Absolutely gorgeous frogs Chris! Those last two pictures are just WOW!

Adam, glad to see you finally got a hold of some greens! I'm in the process of setting up another rack with four 18x18x24 this month. Hoping to dedicate two tanks to yellow bellies or Cayo's.. hurry up and get some froglets!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Absolutely gorgeous frogs Chris! Those last two pictures are just WOW!

Adam, glad to see you finally got a hold of some greens! I'm in the process of setting up another rack with four 18x18x24 this month. Hoping to dedicate two tanks to yellow bellies or Cayo's.. hurry up and get some froglets!

Thanks! Despite the plain green color my Cayo de Aqua are definitely my favorites. Loads of personality and pretty bold. The pair I have in together seem to be courting so hopefully I'll see some eggs soon. :) In the mean time I hope to find a few more females for my additional male. Here's a pic of one of the males. The colors are a bit off because my camera sucks, but it was a surprisingly good shot regardless. Well, a good shot from me anyways. lol

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts