Dendroboard banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has been discussed at length on this and other boards. There are many people who claim that tadpoles raised in RO water is a cause, diet of the tadpoles, UV light, etc, etc. are the main causes of spindly. I just wanted to share something that lends credibility towards the argument of the parents being more of the problem. For a while now I have been using bastimentos pumilio to raise extra blue jeans tadpoles. Recently, I had a female basti raise a basti tad and a blue jeans tad at the same time. Both tads were obviously getting the same nutrition and both raised in RO water at the same temperature etc. They both morphed at the same time with the basti being normal and the blue jeans being spindly. This same pair has never raised a spindly froglet other than the blue jean.

Just an observation that I thought may be of interest.

Robb

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Spindly

Robb I can't help but imagine that the diet of dart frogs in captivity can be a contributor to SLS in their offspring. I would assume a non natural diet could in some cases cause deficiancy's in eggs produced, it would also be my guess that this factor combined with other elements increases this risk. Environment in general for both the adults and tads probably play into many issues of longevitiy (both good and bad) and vigor.
Mark

1 - 2 of 2 Posts