Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I felt a little like a creep glaring through the glass and snapping pics hoping to see it ingest its own skin, but once they are out of their quarantine tank and into the cover of their fully planted terrarium I may never see this again ^..^

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Awesome pic. At least you knew what it was doing! The first time I saw my frogs in morning shed it was like a week after my first frog and I was freaking out not knowing what was going on lol.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
they eat it as it comes off, if you catch them shedding you can actually watch this hazy film slowly slide down and into their mouth :)

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Had my frogs for a while now and still havn't seen them shed:( If it really happens as often as once a week I'm surprised I havn't seen it yet, though I am definately not a morning person.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm sure it can vary between a week and every day, but as I said, 2 years with dart frogs and this is the first time I caught them. I've known that they do it, and what to look for but still today is the first day. I have a feeling my older auratus' have never been caught is because they are in a heavily planted terrarium, this one just so happens to be new so is still in a 10g quarantine tank with only the bare necessities. Also this particular frog is the most active frog I have seen, even on the dive home it was trying to pop the lid off it's cup where as it's tank mate slept, so it made no attempt to hide.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Watch their tank right before their light turns on. My frogs have always shed in the morning when they wake up. I catch it every time. I too, kind of freaked out when I first saw it.:)

·
Registered
272 Posts
You'll have to turn the door towards the glass so u can spy on him with a flashlight! :) No not really, it's best to leave them to their business. Most of mine do it right out in the open so I've witnessed it a lot.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Do they always eat their skin or do they sometimes leave it behind? I have found what I thought was some frog skin dried out on a leaf, i have no idea what else it could be. Do they eat it each and every time?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.