Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking on the packs of cat litter (in the UK). Checking out the 'value'/cheaper brands or unbranded as I've read it's recommended to do, to find 100% clay.

If only it was that straight forward. *sigh*

Some don't have any ingredients listed, while other list one ingredient (that's a start), such as 'Bentonite' or 'Attapulgite'. I'm assuming these are just names for types of clay? But which is the right one?

Any one able to shed any light on this?

Cheers,
R

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Do more research. Can a kitty litter background possibly be done with long term success. Yes, it has been done. Will the vast majority of them collapse and fail? Also yes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do more research. Can a kitty litter background possibly be done with long term success. Yes, it has been done. Will the vast majority of them collapse and fail? Also yes.
Thanks Pumilio. But I have no intention of using a clay background. I'll be using Greatstuff, or rather, a black equivalent of it ('Tetra black expanding pond waterfall foam sealant' or 'Touch and Foam landscape') with driftwood and either the black silicon or Gorilla glue method (still deciding--will do some experiments with Gorilla) with a 50/50 mix of coco fibre & fine peat moss patted on.

The clay is just to mix a small part in my substrate recipe.

Bentonite is the way you want to go. Make sure it is 100% and you should be fine.
Cheers cbosquez. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts