Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on a waiting list for some castaneoticus and was wondering about other peoples viv desins for this species.
Mark W.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Mark,

I've got three goups of casts (at least 5 frogs in each) but have been relatively unsuccessful with them. The only setup that I've had any breeding activity in is a 30L with alot of leaf litter and a large tangle of driftwood at one end. Some suggest a water feature - this has proved unsuccessful for me.

Casts are very difficult to sex. The only way I have been able to sex them is to actually observe breeding behavior and sex them based on that. On the advice of some well known froggers, once I have a few more sexed I'm going to split off a few pairs and try them that way.

Not a whole lot of people working with these guys so information is hard to come by and varies widely.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I have heard a couple different things, and they are in contrast to each other (like a lot of the info in this hobby, to each their own :D ). I have heard that running water is a must, but don't think this is true. It seems one of the people who is breeding them with success doesn't use running water... and from what I know they aren't near running water in the wild, so makes sense to me that they don't need it. I have heard groups work well for these, and then I have heard that pairs are better... so once again, its up to the keeper lol. I would try a pair, and a group if possible... and see what happens. But like edwardsatc said, they are hard to sex unless breeding is going on. This makes it hard to tell what ratios people are working with, and to even sex yours out to set up in pairs or a group with a good ratio for breeding. I would think that leaf litter would be important to them, and that small dark containers on the ground would work for egg deposition sites. As for terrarium set up... not sure lol. I would have some climbing areas, but suspect they are mainly terrestrial. Like I said, I think leaf litter is important to them so I would also add that (as I would with most dart tanks anyways) to their tank... but thats about as much speculation as I can do for right now lol. Anyone eles have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
D. castaneoticus

Here's a question. For those of you who are keeping this species- do you actually have overturned brazil nut husks inside the terraria? I always wondered if this was true- that the wild ones will deposit tadpoles into these? They seem like they would hold enough water. Maybe by placing some in the vivs it could stimulate breeding much like broms do with the pumilio. Just a thought.

Justin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My plans are to order some of them and see what happens.I think they would look cool in the tank too.
Mark W.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Mark,
I will be getting a few of these jewels next week. Hopefully there will be a pair between the 3 of them. I think they are some really nice frogs and will be a huge challenge to breed. Let me know if you find the trick to them. ;)

TonyT

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a few of the nut pods and they held water for a few months and now they drain rather quickly. They still look great, but I wouldn't want the frogs to use them as a tadpole site

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
I bought a couple at IAD, and they do the same thing. I wonder if they could be sealed with something to hold water again?

Bgreen said:
I have a few of the nut pods and they held water for a few months and now they drain rather quickly. They still look great, but I wouldn't want the frogs to use them as a tadpole site

·
Registered
639 Posts
Maybe you could coat them in thompson water sealer. Not sure if this would work but might be worth a try. :?

TonyT

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
andersonii85wrote:
Here's a question. For those of you who are keeping this species- do you actually have overturned brazil nut husks inside the terraria?
I was going to do this, but so far all of the brazil nut husks I have used don't continue to hold water (like Ben said). They still look great, but aren't doing what I would like them to. I heard the guys at Black Jungle tell someone to coat the inside with black silicone. I would think this would work, but wouldn't look as nice. I was thinking of using some sort of wood sealer as well... anyone try it yet? Also, I was wondering if anyone knew of a source for the whole husk instead of halves? From the few pictures I have seen of the husks on the forest floor they were almost a whole husk, with a hole punched out of them. I think this would be a more secure deposition site and it may even keep in more humidity/hold more water. So, does anyone know where to get whole brazilian nuts (not husked)? I was hoping to make a little pile of these in a tank for some castaneoticus and see if they used them or not... thanks for ruining my little experiment Justin lol.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jungle nut pods

Hi all,
I recieved an order from Black Jungle and like J Beetle said Richard told me to seal them with black silicon.I don't think they look too bad.I think
they will look better in the tank in a shaded area.I am working on my castaneoticus tank this weekend.They are being shipped on monday if the weather hold true to what they are forcasting.WHOO, HOO :D .No, I'm not cranked at all!!!
Mark W.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts