Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm not sure the proper etiquette in this subforum, so I'm just posting here. Please delete/remove is this is not the proper way to get things done...

There is a renewed interest in updating the caresheets, which I think is excellent. Maybe this would be a good place to organize our efforts?

Here are some things I think are worth addressing.
1) Add more species. There are a number of species which are now fairly common in the hobby but don't have a functional caresheet.

2) Update the genus. I think it is time to go with the Grant et al nomenclature (ie Ranitomeya, Oophaga) as it is now commonplace in the hobby and the old nomenclature is starting to confuse new members.

3) Update the links. There are a number of links which are still broken from the software migration last year, which should be updated (and formatting issues). In addition to helping with functionality, working links make the site seem more organized and trustworthy.

-Mark

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I'm with you on everything, especially the links. I have gone through and given Kyle links to a few of them in the past. All of the info is there and pretty easy to find, but takes a bit of time to get all situated.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Also some of the current species have new populations in the hobby that should be listed, like southern variabilis, bajo huallaga imitators, etc.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Ok all good ideas, and the place to start is to start updating them here. This can be done by finding the thread equal that that care sheet and updating it in a post.

The best place to start would be the species list:
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/ca...29-species-list-links-care-sheets-posted.html

With the next being the update of each of the current sheets to the new names.

After the above we can look to add new sheets and etc. I'm going to be swamped this week but if someone wants to work on these as a start and get the updates posted here after we all agree they are ready for prime time I can update the public copies.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Is this effort going to open source type effort?

Are we going to sign in somewhere and be able to start contributing?

I'll offer to edit some care sheets right now.....the spelling, word choice and overall grammer can be fixed rather easily to start.

Some pics should be reduced in size as well....make the article a little more managable.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Is this effort going to open source type effort?

Are we going to sign in somewhere and be able to start contributing?

I'll offer to edit some care sheets right now.....the spelling, word choice and overall grammer can be fixed rather easily to start.

Some pics should be reduced in size as well....make the article a little more managable.
I think the easiest way, is to "quote a post" copy that code and content, then start a new post in the forum and paste the quoted post back in. Remember to delete the and all editing can be done there.

A problem I have found is the format of the "posted" care sheets is far different than the ones found back here in the "care sheet creation" area. As of now, because the care sheets in the "posted" area are locked, you cannot quote them to get the exact code. If someone (Kyle) or a mod who has access could copy the code of the "posted" care sheet and put it back in the "creation" area that would help A LOT!

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Yes the best way to start is find the thread in this section on the topic. I posted a copy here of the species list as it was not here already.

Most of the care sheets are in this section already and what we can do is refine and discuss then update the public copy. I will need to do the public update as I upload all pictures to the server so they are not lost and always available.

I am open to a couple of "care sheet managers" that have some edit abilities in here to help with formatting and etc...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts