Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was just a random spur of the moment thought. I work at a pet store, and one of the many items we sell, is a 100% activated carbon filter that is meant for cat liter boxes. It’s basically a pouch of carbon that absorbs odor and/ or potential toxins.
The reason for the question is, if you have a viv with the proper ventilation and fans, would this be a way to improve the air quality at a discount.
IE just attaching the packs to the back of the fans, thus making them draw air through the filter. I can’t imagine that 100% charcoal (which is confirmed, read it myself today) could cause issues.

·
Super Moderator
3,348 Posts
My question is: what is the problem you are trying to solve with this solution?

Using anything to block some of the air from going into the fan (which is what the carbon filter will do) is going to lower the air movement that the fan will accomplish. Even a fine mesh will impede the air movement to some degree

·
Super Moderator
3,204 Posts
Yeah, no matter how much air you try to filter, a tank that is properly ventilated will still be exchanging air passively from the surrounding room. If there is bad stuff in the air in the room, it's going to be getting into the tank. The primary thing I would worry about in interior air is smoking and there is no way I would allow that anywhere in my house. That's for the humans, let alone the frogs. I think this is a solution in search of a problem.

Mark

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My question is: what is the problem you are trying to solve with this solution?

Using anything to block some of the air from going into the fan (which is what the carbon filter will do) is going to lower the air movement that the fan will accomplish. Even a fine mesh will impede the air movement to some degree
Oh there isn’t a problem, I was just curious is all. No one smokes in the house or anything like that.
I guess I was more curious as a preventative measure? I’ve been reading up on some stories of family members spraying air freshener in the frog room (which doesn’t happen in mg case, because I have open top fish tanks as well) and other things of that nature

·
Super Moderator
3,653 Posts
Oh there isn’t a problem, I was just curious is all. No one smokes in the house or anything like that.
I guess I was more curious as a preventative measure? I’ve been reading up on some stories of family members spraying air freshener in the frog room (which doesn’t happen in mg case, because I have open top fish tanks as well) and other things of that nature
As with vivarium temperature regulation, the most effective solution to maintaining proper air quality is to keep the ambient air clean in the vicinity of the tank. I would be more inclined to invest in a quality air purifier that can turn over all the air in the frog "room" several times a day, as opposed to trying to purify the airflow being drawn in by active fans which are not likely to be run more often than once or twice an hour.
Your suggestion is an interesting one though, keep thinking outside the (glass) box!

·
Registered
949 Posts
I'll agree with @Dane here. First, kudos on thinking outside the box. But like Dane said, it's the air around the tank you need to worry about. Since charcoal filters are used to remove smells/particulates in the air it should have no need in our tanks. A mature viv should smell like a forest.

Since your outside air is already controlled you don't need to worry about it.

·
Administrator
5,110 Posts
I'd suspect that a cat box filter wouldn't do that much to a bombing of air freshener.

I run a carbon can filter (and also a separate exhaust fan) in my reptile room to take the edge off the rodent odor. It is a 4 x 12" Phresh rated at 200cfm. It helps, but not as much as you might think, and there's 4.5 pounds of carbon in it. The exhaust fan actually runs around half the CFM as the can blower, and does more for the air quality, implying that even at twice the airflow rate there's not as much stuff being taken out of the air by all that carbon as there is in simply providing clean air.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts