Dendroboard banner

cant find my springtails?

23K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  gootswa 
#1 ·
Hey guys i just finished my vivarium and seeded it with spring tails (18x18x24 zoo med). Its been a week or so and i cannot see any spring tails. Is this normal? I have not looked through the leaf litter i just would like to know they are reproducing and did not die on me lol!

#2 ·
They don't often come out in plain site. Sometimes you can see them on the glass within the leaf litter, but you will likely have to move things around to find them, unless you have a bunch of hungry frogs eating them faster than they can reproduce.

#5 ·
They will eat pasta but Active Bakers Yeast is better. Leaf litter is great but they can't eat it until it starts to break down some. I like to sprinkle a teaspoon or so of bakers yeast UNDER the leaf litter when I seed out a viv. It really gives them a nice jump start. A mushroom or two would be great too.

#8 · (Edited)
Patience did it for me before I started seeing any, and putting some food under the leaf litter.
I think I must have put 1000`s in my tanks before they set up shop.
Check first thing in the morning when the lights go on, thats when I see mine running for cover.
I also add them at night when my frogs are dug in, so they at least have a fighting chance.
As far as thickness goes, when my leaf litter is really broken down I just cover it with new leaves. I know I have at least one tank where it`s probably at least 1 inch thick.
I don`t use moss anymore... for me it just dies, and leaf litter is a more natural setting.

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.