Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I set up my vivarium (12x12x18) with pothos, ferns, maranatha and peperomia and moss. Added isopods and springtails. Then got my frog and added him. He spent about 24 hours on a pothos leaf and now I cannot find him. Tried moving the moss and the leaves but no luck. The crickets we put in yesterday cannot be seen but today's crickets have climbed up the foam wall and are sitting there.
Should I try to take apart the vivarium to find the frog? Or let him be a couple more days? He's been in the tank for about 48 hours . TIA

Edit: found him and he seems active too. He was hanging out at back of the terrarium in the moss.

·
Registered
118 Posts
He is likely wedged in a tight space, as tree frogs like to do. He might be buried in the substrate if the conditions are not right for him. Can you post a picture of your vivarium so we know what the conditions are like? Check the undersides of the leaves too! :)

Good luck!

Gastrotheca
----------------------------
Crested Gecko 0.2.0

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
A few times tonight, go into the room and turn on the lights.

Until then look around the perimeter outside the tank and immediate area. Canvas it in an orderly way outwards. If you have plants nearby look at the leaves, touching on the underside as well.

Look in the folds of curtains if a window is present in the room, and along the pane.

If he is in repose it may pass casual view. He could be green or have shifted to brown.

I would not disturb the env until doing these things.

If you do look in the env, it would be ideal to put a large storage bin within a short workable reach and gently remove artifacts that are not fixed features into the bin in orderly calm manner. Then look everywhere at any immovable features, if present.

If you see the frog on a cage ite you have removed it may work better for you to calmly place whatever it is that has the frog on it, back in the environment instead of grabbing it. A little plastic cup may help you if its on something in the room. Smoothness is better than speed.

I dont know if you are a new frog owner but the above can help limit chaos, stress and mishap for both of you.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Remember if hes in the viv, hes safe. So check the outside first thats whats critical.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Lots of people just throw that foam thing that comes with exo terra away, tbh.

Your frog is probably in back of that.

It is kind of a problem because animals have been known to be estranged from what they need thats good by being stuck back there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts