Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I walked into my frog room tonight to what I thought would be a nice surprise. A newly morphed Santa Isabella froglet was coming out of the water feature. It was the first in tank morph I had seen make it to land. To my surprise, almost as soon as I saw it so did the larger of the females and she pounced, snatched it up and ate it like she would a small cricket. I was horrified! Is this common? Has anyone ever witnessed this before? I need to rethink my whole anthonyi "let them raise the young" philosophy and should probably remove the remaining tads unless I want them to end up as food. I'm really bummed... It feels like... Well it just feels Crappy. In still standing here in total disbelief.

Anyone?...

Btw, the same parent frog is hanging out by the water feature like its waiting for another snack. I'm gonna try and see if I get lucky enough to get a pic.

All I can say is wow! WTF???!!!!

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Cannibalism is widely known in anurans.. To a large extent I'm not surprised.. There isn't anything to indicate to the frog, that it wasn't another high protein snack item particularly since it probably wasn't moving in a manner like a small froglet.

I've seen Epidobates feeding around metamorphs at NAIB in thier rainforest exhibit without seeing predation but I'm not surprised to hear of an anecdotal report. You can always increase the leaf litter levels to help any emerging froglets get established..

Ed

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a BIG female who will do the same. Can feed her till she's ready to pop- but still cant resist the lure...

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. I guess I should start pulling eggs and tads. I was unprepared for this since I don't recall ever reading about this in any of my research. There is one more fresh morph in the tank I was unable to catch last night so I will keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Wow that really sucks man. I hope you get everything figure out! i would love to see the little guys in some pics. Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts