Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know distilled or RO is the way to go with misting and any water that comes into contact with the frogs. I buy and refill the gallon size containers for distilled so I don’t have an “endless supply” on hand. I’m wondering if tap water would be fine to use for the following:

1. rinsing my hydroton
2. Mixing with 10% bleach for a plant swish
3. Rinsing the bleach/tap water off the plants until no bleach smell remains
-and then should I do a final couple rinses with distilled??
4. Boiling to sanitize wood and leaf litter

Thank you for any insight!

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
When you use tap water for the things you listed, or bleach procedures do a final drench, soak in a solution of dechlorinator like Prime.

When I am dealing with bleach I tend to increase the dechlorinator dose to my comfort. Not a whole lot, but stiffer than for aqua use. I apply duration w full immerse for penetration and coverage.

I tend to do a final picky rinse in distilled or the water I use for animal drinking. Which currently is evian. Which probably isn't necessary. But it makes me comfortable.

·
Super Moderator
2,936 Posts
If this is standard city water supply tap water, I would use it for all of those purposes. If it's well water and you have never done any analytics on it, that could be a problem. The reason RO/distilled is recommended for misting is that even the cleanest tap water contains magnesium, calcium, etc. that will precipitate out over time and gum up your nozzles and probably add water spots to your glass. For most purposes, I use tap water including raising tadpoles and all forms of cleaning and prepping of anything that goes in the tank. I do have some excellent tap water, so maybe some people don't if they don't trust their tap water.

kmc had some good info there on bleach. Chlorine from bleach should be eliminated to the point you can't smell it anymore. A dechlorinator (Prime or equivalent - preferably one that handles chloramines) can make the process quicker (and makes me feel better), but if you are patient enough, the volatility of chlorine will cause it to off gas over time. Prolific rinsing will also do the job, though I find this to be a bit wasteful unless I do this over my lawn or other plants that can use the excess water.

Mark

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
https://www.amazon.com/Tetra-AquaSa...ator&qid=1611593449&sprefix=prime+dech&sr=8-8
Will this do for the dechlorinator??
[QUOTE="Kmc, post: 3118010, member:
When you use tap water for the things you listed, or bleach procedures do a final drench, soak in a solution of dechlorinator like Prime.

When I am dealing with bleach I tend to increase the dechlorinator dose to my comfort. Not a whole lot, but stiffer than for aqua use. I apply duration w full immerse for penetration and coverage.

I tend to do a final picky rinse in distilled or the water I use for animal drinking. Which currently is evian. Which probably isn't necessary. But it makes me comfortable.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Will this do for a dechlorinator?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And sorry one more question: Do I put the dechlorinator in the bleach/tap mixture or just in some regular tap for a final rinse?

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
I use Prime. Or AmQuel. I was using that for a while.

You dont need anything "added" to enhance anything. No slime coat things no repeating the removal of stuff that it already does.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Your using it as a drench/rinse afterwards.

You clean, disinfect, rinse with normal tap like you would rinse anything and then use the prime solution to take care of residuals.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts