Dendroboard banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
ummm...why would you????
That is not a helpful answer at all...

I don't think those are appropriate for darts. They are relatively rough/abrasive; which is fine for most reptiles which are covered in scales. But I think it might be damaging to the sensitive skin of a dart. Sphagnum moss (which is carried by most pet stores) would be much more appropriate for darts, as it is softer and retains moisture (another caveat of the carpet).

·
Registered
164 Posts
boabab95 said it best, why!?

I'm sure you could as peanutbuttER said, but it wouldn't look aesthetically pleasing at all. You wouldn't be able to plant in there. And all of the benefits of springtails and other microfauna that thrive in soil, would essentially be lost.

Reactions: boabab95

·
Registered
837 Posts
I don't even use reptile carpet for reptiles!!!...it holds in bacteria,poo, and all your feeders hide under it!!!

Reactions: skynett

·
Banned
55 Posts
As Erik posted, feeders hide under then. I've only used reptile carpet once and it was with a leopard gecko. What's wrong with using ABG, spagnum, or anything similar? Look at the packaging of the reptile carpet-it says biodegradable. It would soon decompose in a dart frog vivarium. Not trying to be a jerk, but just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
315 Posts
As Erik posted, feeders hide under then. I've only used reptile carpet once and it was with a leopard gecko. What's wrong with using ABG, spagnum, or anything similar? Look at the packaging of the reptile carpet-it says biodegradable. It would soon decompose in a dart frog vivarium. Not trying to be a jerk, but just my 2 cents...
What reptile carpet are you referencing?

Zilla: Zilla - Where Reptiles Rule » Terrarium Liner | Products | Bedding

Note: the ENZYME treatment is marketed as biodegradable, not the carpet itself.

Zoo Med: Eco Carpet

Made from 100% post-consumer recycled plastic bottles! Certainly not biodegradable.

Flukers: Flukers Reptile Carpet Green XX-Large

Not marketed as biodegradable.

Four Paws: Terrarium LINING Reptile Carpet 55 Gallon 48"x12

Also not marketed as biodegradable.

·
Registered
315 Posts
OP, you could use reptile carpet, not much different than using paper towels in a QT or hygienic set-up I suppose.

I would wash it frequently though and, as everyone else has mentioned, I would be concerned about bacteria build-up. You won't have the luxury of microfauna being as prolific (if at all) with carpet.

I'd also be careful with the Zilla carpet. Does anyone know if the "enzyme" used is safe for anurans?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
One of the nicest things about a naturalistic vivarium is that you don't need to remove fecal matter. That would not be the case with carpet. It doesn't look any more natural than paper towels and and least with paper towels you can throw away and replace, instead of wash.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I agree with both of you Teddy and Boondoggle, just saying, the OP *could* use reptile carpet in much the same way papertowels are used. That is of course as long as someone can provide information regarding the safety of the "biodegradable enzyme" treatment of the Zilla reptile carpet.
I am a fan of naturalistic vivariums rather than hygienic set-ups, unless it is for QT. To each his/her own I guess.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
just to add, these products seem perfectly designed to trap, injure, and possibly lacerate, or even completely sever, digits. there have been cases with similar materials like epiweb, so avoiding these "carpet" products would be advised.

james

1 - 17 of 17 Posts