Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend found this tank at a yard sale and got in for me. I think it’s made of Plexiglas, 1/4" thick. Would this be ok to make a front opening tank from?
Thanks
ADAM

G

·
0 Posts
Nope... its probably not going to work. Send it over to me, and I will throw it away for you :wink:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. I’m glad my friend thought about me when she saw it; the best part about it is that it was only $5. :)
The top of the cube is open. I plan on making a front opening tank out of it; but first I am going to go to the local pet store to get some aquarium sealant so I know its water tight.

Thanks for all your replies. :D
ADAM

·
Administrator
8,690 Posts
Re: silicone and acrylic don't mix

First - is there a difference between acrylic and plexiglass?

I've got *lots* of plexi tanks.

Every single one has a beed of silicone around the inside bottom as a saftey net to prevent leaking.

No problems (so far).

s
kenya_1977 said:
If the tank is acrylic then you don't want to use silicone on it. It will disolve the acrylic.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Plexi is a type of acrylic, like Lucite, Crystallite, ... Depending on the type of silicone it may or may not bond verywell, but it will not dissolve the plastic. Why don't you do a leak test to see if you even need the silicone?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just tested it out and there is a large area on the bottom that is leaking and two smaller ones in the vertical seams.
ADAM

1 - 20 of 22 Posts