Dendroboard banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just build this terrarium and I wanted to know if I can put dart frogs in here?
( 30*30*45cm)
Plant Plant community Flower Terrestrial plant Organism
Flower Plant Petal Wood Vegetation

I know it's a bit small and absolutely not high 馃槄. Is there really any species that can leave in it?

Administrator
Many keepers consider a 10 gallon fish tank to be very inadequate in size, as well as deficient in ventilation, for permanent housing of any species of dart frog.

Any species that is appropriate for care by a novice dart frog keeper is best kept in a viv of more than 30 gallons volume, and designed for the needs of dart frogs (climbing areas, good ventilation, thermal and moisture gradients, ideal plant selection, maximal use of free space, etc). Further, larger vivs allow for more wiggle room in design flaws; housing in vivs of bare minimum size is an exercise best reserved for one's tenth viv, rather than the first one.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply 馃憤 appreciate it.

Do you know any other animals that will like to be in this terrarium (bug or crustacean). Some things that is a bit more fun to watch than plants 馃榾.

I can easily replace the leaves carpet for a little aquatic zone.

Registered
Not sure what you could keep in there, but before you put any little critters in - how long has this been set up and what is your substrate/soil like? Looks like you've got a few epiphytes planted terrestrially in there.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've just planted it, but I've planned to wait a good month before introducing new thing in it.
For the soil I,ve put a big layer of drain ender a mix of nutritif soil, bark and coco fiber. (My orchid is in bark only)

Registered
There are various dwarf gecko species from the genus Sphaerodactylus that this actually comes pretty close to being the perfect setup for. They can tend to be fairly elusive though and you wouldn't necessarily see them whenever you look in there. With patience though some can become very tame and will even take food from your hands despite their very small size.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I will do more research but it actually looks like what I was looking for.
It you know a bit about Sphaerodactylus I am not against some useful informations.

Thanks.

Registered
E. Anthonyii Santa Isabels
If you don鈥檛 mind me asking, did You collect your leaf litter from directly outside? It looks like there are a bunch of needles and sticks in there. If so, you should take care that your leaf litter isn鈥檛 full of random detritus like this, and you should take care to clean well against any small hitchhikers (I.e. bugs) that might infest your tank.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok I will sort the leafs when I return to my home. Speaking about bugs... I've heated the leafs in the oven for a good hour.

Registered
Ok, I will do more research but it actually looks like what I was looking for.
It you know a bit about Sphaerodactylus I am not against some useful informations.

Thanks.
I keep and breed sphaerodactylus so if you have any questions I'm happy to answer them. Like I said the setup is basically perfect for them, you do need to make sure you have ventilation in the lid though.
Their diet is much the same as dart frogs and they're not geckos that you would necessarily want to provide with bright hot basking spots.
It's not usually mentioned in care sheets for them but all sphaerodactylus in my experience will also appreciate the occasional treat of fruit, manuka honey, and powdered gecko diet in addition to a staple of various small live insects.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So ... I've donne a bite of research and the biggest problem is that NOBODY in my area sell them 馃槶(In France).

If you know some sort of community/forome where there might be some sphaerodactylus enjoyers, that would be of great help to me. (Thank you for all those information)

Registered
So ... I've donne a bite of research and the biggest problem is that NOBODY in my area sell them 馃槶(In France).

If you know some sort of community/forome where there might be some sphaerodactylus enjoyers, that would be of great help to me. (Thank you for all those information)
Germany has a large contingent of sphaerodactylus enthusiasts. (Not France but close also not sure about laws with shipping etc.) One big problem is there is not that much info out there about them. This is a great place to start: Welcome to www.dwarfgeckos.com

Registered
D. Leucomelas - E. Anthonyi - D. Tinctorius 'Tumucumaque'
I don't think shipping animals, except for invertebrates maybe, is legal in Europe. Some stores in the Netherlands deliver them, but it's quite expensive, and since France is 10x bigger I would imagine there is no countrywide delivery. Maybe you can find them at reptile shows, you could contact a German breeder and ask if he and his geckos are coming to a show in Germany, if it's not too big a drive for you.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I leave in south-France 馃槄 lick the opposite of Germany.
I think a bigger terrarium and some Lygodactylus conraui or dendrobates is the best way for mi to have a living tropical terrarium. I know some dendrobates breeders.

Big thank you for all. 鉂

Registered
I will add that your orchid has a branch on it and it should be the other way around. It also looks fresh from a retailer who got it from a wholesale grower who absolutely dumped horrible chemicals on it. just a warning.

Administrator
I will add that your orchid has a branch on it and it should be the other way around. It also looks fresh from a retailer who got it from a wholesale grower who absolutely dumped horrible chemicals on it. just a warning.
I understand that many mass-market phals are grown in Asia and come into bloom from the stresses of boat transport to the US. True? If so, I'm guessing they're grown in countries whose pesticide restrictions may be less rigorous than they are in the US?

Registered
I understand that many mass-market phals are grown in Asia and come into bloom from the stresses of boat transport to the US. True? If so, I'm guessing they're grown in countries whose pesticide restrictions may be less rigorous than they are in the US?
In the US, for sure. the bulk of Phalaenopsis hybrids are produced in Taiwan and the Netherlands. Both countries of origin will be using harsh pesticides and certainly growers here in the usa will also be using those same chemicals or slightly safer verisons, especially on budded material which would be shipped to retailers. This would increase the risk of contamination.

As for the boat travel, most are shipped bulk air freight and are spike initiated, usually and inch at least, before shipping.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts