Dendroboard banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
I was advised by this veterinarian - who is my most cherished reference, to refrain from online message boards.

I am being careful.

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Aeromonas hydrophila is indeed ubiquitous in a wide range of aquatic circumstances, but because they are considered a primary pathogen, to discount closed system contamination potential is a lapse of judgement in approach.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Some (more) thoughts:

1) Put a pinch of that brewer's yeast in a little water. Cap it. Leave it for a week. Open it and sniff. Is that the smell?

2) What is the smell, exactly, or what other yucky thing does it smell similar to? It might be something that someone can identify. (Y'all, don't give any hints or you'll bias the test ;)).

3) Is it possible that the water really isn't all that smelly? Those of us who hang out with a lot of animals all day might not even notice it. I just mucked out a barn and didn't notice the smell much at all because it is simply what I expected.

4) Since Aeromonas bacteria are found in all kinds of water (dirty, clean, chlorinated, saltwater, etc), and given that your egg crate setup is the most wicking-restant design possible, I wouldn't be too worried about that.
Honestly it just smelled like stagnant nasty pond water. It tasted even worse when i siphoned it out (believe me i wasnt trying to taste it). I siphoned it all out and i dont notice any weird smell at all now. I think i should have siphoned it out sooner.

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Im glad you found it not so bad. Putrid water from dead things etc can harbor all kinds of nasty little rods and squiggles.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Ryanscotty1 said:
It tasted even worse when i siphoned it out (believe me i wasnt trying to taste it).
And that, dear reader, was the last anyone ever heard of @Ryanscotty1
Damn that's fuckin funny! He's probably still shitting his guts out, and toughing out the cold sweats.

Yo, Ryan - get a siphon, man. Take care of yourself. If you can't manage that you've got no business keeping animals.

·
Super Moderator
3,642 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Damn that's fuckin funny! He's probably still shitting his guts out, and toughing out the cold sweats.

Yo, Ryan - get a siphon, man. Take care of yourself. If you can't manage that you've got no business keeping animals.
A little dirty water never hurt me. Im a hairy legged carpenter from Tx. Ive swam in horse tanks waaaay dirtier than that. Plus it boosts the ol immune system lol!

·
Registered
925 Posts
A little dirty water never hurt me.
Well, it's killed a shit-ton of people so don't push your luck. I've spent way too much time pissing out my ass on nasty toilets in the third world to fuck around with sketchy water any more. Amoebas are no joke. Ditto viruses.

What sort of carpenter? Framer, finisher, what's your thing? How's construction there? Lumber is through the roof here. It's ridiculous, the supply/demand imbalance right now. It'll get sorted, but meanwhile...phew.

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
In a siphon hurry i ended up getting thrush.

Like a mouth full of opened safety pins.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts