Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’ve tried posting this on other sites and haven’t gotten any responses. I know this place is for dart frogs, but I just need some reassurance. I picked out plants for my crested gecko bioactive and was sure they were all safe. However someone told me that the leaves on the pilea moon valley gave a bad rash to their leopard gecko and could be dangerous to other reptiles. Currently all my plants are in quarantine but can anyone speak on this? Whether you used it with your frogs or geckos, did the hairs on it ever give them a rash or has it not been as issue? I’m sure my gecko will touch and explore the plant a lot so should I just not take the risk? Or was the person’s gecko a special case and should be fine using it? Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
3,316 Posts
That plant is used a lot in dart frog vivs (I've used it, too) and I don't know that anyone has ever reported this.

Given that it is a plant that is quite inappropriate for using to decorate a leopard gecko viv (rainforest understory plant, desert gecko), I'd be very skeptical of such claims coming from anyone who uses it for that purpose. Quite possibly (better: certainly) that vivarium was simply way too wet for the leo.

It is a poor choice for a crestie viv, too, only because it will get shredded, but that won't hurt anyone but the plant.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That plant is used a lot in dart frog vivs (I've used it, too) and I don't know that anyone has ever reported this.

Given that it is a plant that is quite inappropriate for using to decorate a leopard gecko viv (rainforest understory plant, desert gecko), I'd be very skeptical of such claims coming from anyone who uses it for that purpose. Quite possibly (better: certainly) that vivarium was simply way too wet for the leo.

It is a poor choice for a crestie viv, too, only because it will get shredded, but that won't hurt anyone but the plant.
Thank you! I think I will put it aside in that case I was also worried about the fragility. I’ll do more research for something to replace it with.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I believe it’s in the nettle family, so a few of its relatives have irritating hairs, but this plant lacks them. I have it in a frog viv right now and have no problems. If it’s fine with frogs, it’ll be fine with a gecko. It will get beat up though.
24AFD3D5-96EB-4668-B992-0B0198CD5354.jpeg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe it’s in the nettle family, so a few of its relatives have irritating hairs, but this plant lacks them. I have it in a frog viv right now and have no problems. If it’s fine with frogs, it’ll be fine with a gecko. It will get beat up though.
View attachment 297573
thanks for the reassurance, your pileas look cool! Yeah I’m kind of weighing the risk of trying it because I don’t have anywhere else to put it besides the viv. I’ll get a replacement plant if my gecko‘s too rough with it, but I’m just glad it’s safe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts