Dendroboard banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking about switching over to a new kind of light and get away from the 3000-4000k color...I miss the blue/whites....I'm weird....so I found these. Has anyone used some of those recessed led light things? They're suuuuper cheap and look like they'd be pretty easy to hookup. However, these are made to be hardwired into my breaker box...is there a way to wire these to work with an outlet? I'm not an electrician but if I have instructions I'd be down to try it.... thoughts?
Wood Font Line Wall Material property

·
Registered
73 Posts
Easy enough to wire up. After looking at the directions for installation I see they each have their on own LED driver with color selector switch. I doubt the driver will run multiple lights so will need to use them all. I would wire to a light switch then to plug. At 15 watts each nothing really to worry about running to single plug. 75 watts for 5 lights so pushing low amp.

Light Product Font Line Automotive lighting

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So but a switch do you mean just a normal light switch? What is the purpose of hooking the lights to a switch before the plug? And is there a certain plug I should use? I just looked...all I have is romex. Working with solid copper may be a bit tough. How about this?

·
Registered
430 Posts
So but a switch do you mean just a normal light switch?
I wouldn't bother with a switch. Just wire a plug end on it and plug it into a timer. I throw away the wire nuts that come in the box. Ideal beige wire nuts are the best for that size wire. Just strip a little bit more on the wires in the light. It makes them much easier to hook up and have them stay connected.

I have wired a lot of houses.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A switch like this? And thanks for helping me with this! the electrical channel on reddit everyone said it was a terrible idea....figured there had to be a way.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wouldn't bother with a switch. Just wire a plug end on it and plug it into a timer. I throw away the wire nuts that come in the box. Ideal beige wire nuts are the best for that size wire. Just strip a little bit more on the wires in the light. It makes them much easier to hook up and have them stay connected.

Ok cool, sorry about asking for the switch, I think I posted that as you did. I think I can do that! I've seen those wago connector splicer things at menards that may be good to. But these are definitely cheaper.

·
Administrator
5,569 Posts
the electrical channel on reddit everyone said it was a terrible idea.
Well, it isn't going to be code, I'll bet. ;)

Those are <1000 lumens each. You sure they're going to be bright enough? That Parfactworks light you were using should produce about 12,000 lumens.

·
Registered
73 Posts

Timer and direct plug would be better for sure. Can use a dimmer switch but not for sure much need based on the specs of the lights.

Teddy I guess you filled up your 15% discount bag....

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Timer and direct plug would be better for sure. Can use a dimmer switch but not for sure much need based on the specs of the lights.

Teddy I guess you filled up your 15% discount bag....
Sure did, Stuffed several full! The cashier was definitely giving me the stink eye :D They have a ton of these 50% off already.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, it isn't going to be code, I'll bet. ;)

Those are <1000 lumens each. You sure they're going to be bright enough? That Parfactworks light you were using should produce about 12,000 lumens.
I think they'll be fine. I'm wanting something a little less....intense. I have 3 parfactworks lights but only use 1. Kinda wanna try to sell the extras to fund trying something else. They're really bright for sure.

·
Registered
Phyllobates vittatus
77 Posts
12/2 is rated for a 20 amp circuit and for lighting you are better off using stranded than solid. I am not sure how you plan to mount your lights or what your actual use for them will be but those lights are ment to be mounted in a ceiling and if you are laying these on a tank you will have live exposed wires. Electrical is not something to be played with it should be respected, it is quite dangerous to mess with if you do not have background in wiring. You should also make sure to have a ground.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Charlie, I ended up using 12/3 and each light had their own junction box. I made a build post about it here. I've gotta add a hinged lid to the top. And following the included instructions, they can be wired to a plug. It all looked good and seems to be working well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts