Dendroboard banner

Can I use this for tank walls for plants and moss

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  frogsoup 
#1 ·
I'm in the process of setting up my first tank. I do NOT want to see sprayed great stuff on the sides of the tank walls. Also epicene is kinda ugly to me. I like that this is just plain black. I would put the black mesh fabric stuff over it (I'm completely drawing a blank at the moment... But you know, that stuff that goes over and moss grows on it?)

See less See more
#4 ·
Hygrolon, yes that.

Also, yeah, I figure it would hug me "less" to see dots of silicone in an organized pattern to hold it or something.

What do others use to block the tank wall sides? Black contact vinyl or something?

If I use great stuff for tank walls and just block the sides with black vinyl on the outside, can great stuff be used as a growing media? Like will orchids attach to it? Or will i just need holes scooped out for bromiliads and just be happy with moss and broms on it? Cause that would also be fine, just looking for what my options would be

#5 ·
If I use great stuff for tank walls and just block the sides with black vinyl on the outside, can great stuff be used as a growing media? Like will orchids attach to it? Or will i just need holes scooped out for bromiliads and just be happy with moss and broms on it? Cause that would also be fine, just looking for what my options would be
Well, you will need to cover the great stuff with something like hygrolon or silicone and substrate. Bromeliads will grow roots on either of those coverings. I don't have any experience with hydrolon but moss and orchids will need a little pocket of substrate to grow on the wall with just a silicone and substrate covering.

You can cover the inside of the tank with black silicone before great stuff and just scrape away where you no longer need it. Or you can paint the outside of the glass black like fishing guy said.

#6 ·
I'm in the process of setting up my first tank. I do NOT want to see sprayed great stuff on the sides of the tank walls. Also epicene is kinda ugly to me. I like that this is just plain black. I would put the black mesh fabric stuff over it (I'm completely drawing a blank at the moment... But you know, that stuff that goes over and moss grows on it?) View attachment 300992
mosses are epiphytic meaning they’ll grow on just about anything given the right conditions, since moss doesn’t have actual roots, it uses its rhizoids to act like roots and attach onto most surfaces.

ive seen people grow moss on lava rocks, wood, hygrolon, and xaxim panels. and i am pretty sure i saw a video by troy goldberg where he placed a sheet of moss directly onto the filter media, but my mind may deceive me.

you also may want to have some sort of drip wall system on the background material you choose to use, so that the mosses attached onto said surface will receive clean and oxygenated water

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.