Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just recieved a big order of plants today from Black Jungle Terrarium Supplies and am looking for different ways to plant them in the background. I was wondering if it would be ok to just cut a hole in the GS and plant it right in there. The holes i made when i constructed the background are not quite big enough to stick a plant in.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Depends on the plants really. Epiphytes can be attached to your background but you don't really need to carve out your GS. Use wire, toothpics, etc to "pin" them to the background. If you have some vining plants, I'd plant them at the base of the background in your substrate and let them naturally grow up the background, towards the light.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Also, you will want to be careful if water cant drain out of the hole, you may end up with a puddle in there and cause root rot. A lot of plants can just be wrapped in sphagnum and pinned to the background.

If you have plant names, could give you more advice/options as well with them. Also, if they dont fit, could just knock some of the soil off.

·
Registered
454 Posts
like they both said, epiphytes can easily be planted without problem.

I am assuming you are referring to terrestrial plants (ie stuff that needs to grow in SOIL). If so, you CAN carve a hole in your GS wall, but make sure to also drill/carve a DRAIN hole otherwise as therizman said you will have drainage issues (your 'pots' will fill with water and not drain out causing root rot)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Should I try to pin the Anthurium scandens (2nd Pic) and Begonia polygonoides (3rd Pic) along the bg and plant the Pilea right in the middle of the background??

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I would def. say put the anthurium and begonia on the background, just make sure you are still misting them. That is one mistake I have made and I am sure others, is that I didnt make sure the misting system was actually getting all the way to the back of some of my tanks and things just sort of withered away. The glauca will grow anywhere as long as there is moisture in my experience. I have it on the ground and on backgrounds, seems to be fine in both areas as long as it doesnt dry out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. I was able to plant everything nicely. Black jungle had good stuff I would definitely order more plants from them. I also got some tree fern pieces which I used to make a little plateau. I took the cork round and toothpicked it to the side wall in the GS and planted the pilea in it. I'll upload a couple pics in a bit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are some pics of the viv with my new plans in. I hope the Pilea will cascade down from the cork round and the vines will grow up and across the background. How long do you suggest i wait until i get some frogs in there. Im still waiting on a glass top im having custom made.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts