Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently, I have two juvenile D. azureus. Can I add a couple of frogs of another species? If so, which ones? I'm most interested in D. tinctorius (Surinam Cobalt) and D. leucomelas. Could either of these be kept with my azureus?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After some additional research on the subject... I think I'll withdraw the question!! My primary aim to maintain healthy and happy animals. It seems that the most conservative approach is one species per tank. Therefore, no possibility of problems... got it.

Another question... My original thought was to keep just one frog while I was "in training" as a frog keeper. The breeder encouraged me to take two, saying they are communal and need the company of their own kind. In a tank the size I have, is two the maximum number of azureus that would be advised?

If I could add another frog, what happens if I ended up with two females and one male? I read that females will fight. Also, since most folks sell the frogs when they are too young to sex, how do you avoid the wrong mix of sexes?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Unfortunately if to you are buying juvenile frogs, you run the risk of getting all females or all males. This is just one of the reasons that adult frogs are usually 3 - 4 times more than juvies. If you get another frog now and it turns out that you get a 1:2 ratio, the females might not fight. In my experience if the frogs are raised together there seems to be a lot less aggression than with frogs that are introduced as adults. I would not get more than one more frog for that size enclosure and make sure that there are plenty of hiding places. Too many frogs and limited space will almost guarantee fights. Azureus are pretty easy to sex as adults so you could try to trade one or 2 off if you get a bad mix.
Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ed,

Thanks for the recommendation. Maybe I'll just leave things as they are for right now.

At what age will I be able to sex the frogs?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Reefgal, you might be able to tell the sex of the frogs at 10 - 11 months
for sure and make a fairly accurate guess a month or 2 before that.

Ed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts