Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a plant in my 10 gallon dart frog tank, which I’ve grown in substrate for a couple months now. There is almost no new growth and after watching some YouTube videos, I started to think it looked like a bromeliad. After thinking this, I slotted it into a place on my driftwood 10 minutes before writing this, but I’m still not sure if is is a bromeliad. Can anyone help me identify it? This is what it looks like:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Looks like some sort of Cryptanthus, a type of mostly terrestrial bromeliad. I've always grown mine in substrate, but I've heard of some people doing it epiphytically. One of mine took almost a year to start growing after I got it, but went crazy after that, so you might just have to be patient.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yep, that's a Cryptanthus. They should be planted in a moist but reasonably well-drained substrate, as they'll do better that way than grown epiphytically.

Did you just water? The tank looks very wet. I'm also a bit concerned by the lack of roots on the crypt, and I wonder if they might have rotted due to being too wet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello, I am the OP's sibling. posting here because he had to go for a bit on a trip today. Also, someone mentioned the root system being very small. That's the way he got it, and I agree, it is. And yes, he had just watered it when he took that picture. The Crypt used to be right in front of the smaller piece of driftwood. The full tank looks like this:

·
Registered
15 Posts
The only plant that has grown is the nerve plant in front, and the moss. Everything else has stayed the same since we bought it. Also, the soil in the front of the tank gets wetter than the soil in the back if that helps, because the tank has an incline from front to back in soil. He also ended up covering the whole top with some kind of plastic wrap to keep the humidity in because the terrarium is home to a poison dart frog (Dendrobates Auratus 'Super Blue') which need humidity levels of 70+. It is misted twice a day. Also, any other plant moving suggestions will be very much appreciated as my sib and I are new to terrariums, transferring from aquariums.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts