Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a year of keeping P.Vittatus and Powder Blue Tincs (different vivs), I am finally ready for some thumbnail darts. I don't mind the calling at all, I just don't want any that are WAY TOO LOUD. I want to know are there any thumbs that their calls can be quieted (not completely) by the closing of a door as this viv will go in my guestroom or basement. Also I usually just meet Patrick somewhere @ a local store here but I've checked Saurian.net and he's out so if you have any thumbs for sale near St. Louis please pm me. Thanks in advance yall.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
That's a great selection of calls, but the Auratus call is loud. Mine are barely audible. I'm not sure they got the volume quite right...

·
Registered
73 Posts
In over two years and 3+ dozen babies by now I have never heard my auratus call. I try all the time and I have seen him call but by the time I get close enough to listen he stops. I even laid on the floor for two hours one time and still didn't get to hear him. Although it didn't help I fell asleep. :D

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I second the R. variabilis for low calling.... They are a great looking thumb become bolder as they age and breeding starts. I would suggest the "Southern" as they are a little bigger and seem to be the more bold of my breeding groups. The call of the "Highland" and "Southern" are identical to the ear. You can barley hear them calling 2-3 feet from the vivarium. The call is a low buzz sound compared to the high trill/cherp of imitators. The only issue that might be incurred is the higher price of the "Southern". But an excellent frog for any collection.

Reactions: ktdarts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Stay away from imitators then. They are pretty audible and constant when breeding and feeding young. :p

Reactions: ktdarts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Between my imitators and my vittatus, my vittatus are louder

·
Registered
201 Posts
Most (if not all) phyllobates are loud! :p
Indeed. Figured he would be interested in that since he already keeps vittatus. I guess I should also add that it wouldn't take much noise at all to silence imitators behind closed doors

·
Registered
493 Posts
Indeed. Figured he would be interested in that since he already keeps vittatus. I guess I should also add that it wouldn't take much noise at all to silence imitators behind closed doors
I had a pretty loud male varadero a while back. He was housed with a female in an 18x18x24 exoterra and I could hear him over my TV (in my bedroom). He would also call well into the night after lights out and often wake me up with calling. :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts