Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I have 2 D. auratus Campana's I acquired separately, but introduced into the vivarium at the same time. I've kept auratus before, but never this morph. From my few weeks of experience with campana I have found them to be shy, not in the manner that I never see them, just that they wander away into hiding when I come close. I believe the frogs to be male and female, the male being the smaller one (a good deal smaller, probly a bit younger). The frogs spend time in the same hider, sit close when together, etc. and I have witnessed no signs of bullying. The larger frog is a much more tenacious feeder, but both frogs are in good health and weight. The smaller frog seems to have become less active in the past week, spending much time close to the opening of the coconut hut or under it. The only change I have made is putting a dish under the two coconut huts. The smaller frog seems to hold it's right arm up a bit, something I normally wouldn't find strange but it's been doing it fairly often. Again, they seem to be in good health, I've witnessed no bullying, and I don't believe they are courting. Anyone seen this before? Thanks,
-Sean

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Hello All,
I have 2 D. auratus Campana's I acquired separately, but introduced into the vivarium at the same time. I've kept auratus before, but never this morph. From my few weeks of experience with campana I have found them to be shy, not in the manner that I never see them, just that they wander away into hiding when I come close. I believe the frogs to be male and female, the male being the smaller one (a good deal smaller, probly a bit younger). The frogs spend time in the same hider, sit close when together, etc. and I have witnessed no signs of bullying. The larger frog is a much more tenacious feeder, but both frogs are in good health and weight. The smaller frog seems to have become less active in the past week, spending much time close to the opening of the coconut hut or under it. The only change I have made is putting a dish under the two coconut huts. The smaller frog seems to hold it's right arm up a bit, something I normally wouldn't find strange but it's been doing it fairly often. Again, they seem to be in good health, I've witnessed no bullying, and I don't believe they are courting. Anyone seen this before? Thanks,
-Sean
Are you sure they don't have eggs under the hut? If he is spending a lot of time there he may be urinating on them to keep them moist and also staying close to guard the eggs. I would make an effort to drop some flies near to opening of the hut to give him a chance to forage while still tending to the eggs.

His character may be as such that he is simply shy naturally as an individual. My female Tinc was VERY shy for about a year. Now she is out always. I'd say just keep a good eye on them, but it sounds like natural behavior to me.

Any pics?

JBear

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Campana are generally regarded as shy auratus, though just about any Tinc is going to be more bold then most Auratus. Campana are one of my favorite morphs as well but definitly aren't bold

·
Registered
379 Posts
My Campana are more shy then my Imi's, but I have a Panamaniam Auratus that is the most skiddish frog I own. I rarely see this frog and when I do it Darts away into the hide. If you don't mess with them and stay out of their tank for a while they should become more confident to be out and about. At first, my pair were hardly out but now they are constantly out hunting for flies. They even come up and look up at me when I feed them :D Kind of like my tincs, but a bit more reserved. I do not think it is normal for a frog to constantly have his arm raised. I'm not sure I can help you either.

-Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts