Dendroboard banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
Need some help deciding here! Trying to choose between Auratus Camo and Auratus Campana. I have 3 Azureus right now, and Im fairly confident in my skills as a frogger. I have the opportunity to snag EITHER one of these morphs at 70 a pair and wanna know the nuances between the two.

Tell me about Auratus in general too, whats the difference in behaviours, shyness, food, lighting, etc, etc, etc.

Thanks a ton!
-Matt

·
Registered
275 Posts
Arautus are a good frog. They're bold, and they get fairly large. They are best kept in pairs, or male heavy groups, given that females will destroy eggs laid by other females if kept together. Their food is no different from any other dart frogs. Same with lighting and watering. A good frog for anyone of any skill level because they are beautiful bold frogs. Hope this helps! :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love them both... which my wallet will hate me for. I have A tank set up and empty, not a pair...choices choices

·
Registered
309 Posts
Our experience is a mixed bag. We have found that our highland bronze are byfar the most bold I have seen. Although our blue/black and campana are still very young also. It has been the bronze that has me in love with the auratus as a species so far. Check out the ones on our page if you care.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys have some AWESOME frogs, I was lookin the other day.
So your sayin shy frogs? Both or just campana?

·
Registered
446 Posts
+1 to highland bronze... love mine.. so bold they have excaped out the front door while I was misting a few times. My black/blues I hardly ever see.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yeah. I personally have never owned any arautus, but they're beautiful frogs, and they are very bold. I am certainly going to get some in the near future.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have a breeding pair of campana which I have had almost a year, and though they've been breeding like crazy the past couple of months, they're still some of the most shy frogs I own, and I have thumbnails which can be shy but they're more outgoing than my auratus. I also have a quartet of Hawaiian/ Tobago Reticulated auratus which are out more than the campanas. I'm hoping the froglets from the campanas will be more outgoing than their parents. Right now i have 7 in the water, 3 with back legs.

Zac

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
With this species, boldness is all about how you set their tanks up. Give them a heavy amount of leaf litter, some space, and larger aroids to perch on (or beneath) and you will see them much more frequently.

My favorite auratus are the Panama imports from 2004 which ultimately became the Shrom, Sexton, Frogfarm, "turquoise and bronze" lines. They are incredibly bold, highly variable and actually loud for an auratus.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I have a breeding pair of campana which I have had almost a year, and though they've been breeding like crazy the past couple of months, they're still some of the most shy frogs I own, and I have thumbnails which can be shy but they're more outgoing than my auratus. I also have a quartet of Hawaiian/ Tobago Reticulated auratus which are out more than the campanas. I'm hoping the froglets from the campanas will be more outgoing than their parents. Right now i have 7 in the water, 3 with back legs.

Zac

arent hawaiian and reticulated different locales/morphs?

·
Registered
153 Posts
My favorite auratus are the Panama imports from 2004 which ultimately became the Shrom, Sexton, Frogfarm, "turquoise and bronze" lines. They are incredibly bold, highly variable and actually loud for an auratus.
Agreed! The Turquoise and Bronze are my favorite PDF! They are a great group frog and are always out and about, interacting with one another.

My Campanas are still fairly young, but so far, they have been almost as bold as small T&Bs. They start out very brown (they looked like little turds when I got them a few months ago), but the kahlua and cream color gets more distinct as they grow. T&B's morph out greenish and black and develop the turquoise and bronze hues as they grow.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
According to the breeder I got them from, these reticulated auratus are from Hawaii, but before that they were from the Island of Tobago and the US Government introduced them to Hawaii to control mosquitos.

Zac
Yes but there are some differences between them now, they have been separated for a while. So they are just 'Hawaiian' auratus.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts