Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so the holidays and my birthday are coming up (birthday Jan 19, so the closeness allows for big "combo" gifts) and I want to get a nice DSLR to snap shots of my frogs in a semi-professional quality. basically, i'm tired of just using my phone.

Anyone got any recommendations? I briefly went on Best Buy's website during my lunch and I saw the top rated cameras are Canon and Nokia, which I kind of figured just from my general life experience. Can anyone recommend an affordable but good camera? Sort of a "best bang for your buck" under $1000. I'm not going to be taking pictures for National Geographic or anything, haha.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Sure you want a DSLR? Some of the higher end point and shoots are almost as good, for a fraction of the price.... Canon G12 comes to mind. If you aren't aiming for Nat Geo, it might be a good bet for you.

-Afemoralis

·
Registered
179 Posts
Not to take over this thread but I'm looking for a camera as well my thunderbolt does decent at general picture taking but I would love something for macro shots

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
564 Posts
Another option would be to look into a newer category of cameras called mirrorless interchangable lens cameras. They're somewhat of a hybrid between point and shoots and dslr's. The main body is compact like a point and shoot, but you still have different lens options. As an amateur photographer I have been happy with the Sony NEX 5.

Something of note though with the NEX line is that is uses Sony's newer e mount, and new lenses currently are quite expensive. They do have an adapter though which will allow you to use the alpha mount, which has tons and tons of lenses on the market that are affordable.

·
Banned
579 Posts
Sony a390 alpha series are really good. Just bought one and am very content

·
Registered
542 Posts
I got a combo kit from Sams for a great price ( under 700$) I have a Canon Rebel TI. It has 2 different lenses and a gadget bag and memory card.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My wife does a fair amount of nature photography and I bought here a Canon 20D a couple of years ago...fantastic camera for shooting frogs also!!! I bought it from a buddy who used is as his backup for his wedding photography business, think I gave 600 for the body and 2 batteries, you will need to buy lenses for it though which can get pricey.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I second the mirrorless cameras. Although i prefer the Panasonic and olympus. And out of.those two i prefer olympus because they have the auto focus built into them. You aren't going to use it much doing macro but its nice to have. The nice thing about these two brands is.that they both use micro 4/3 mounts so the lenses are interchangable. You can also get an adapter for under $100 to mount the regular 4/3 lenses. Try the e-pl2 or the recently released e-pl3 with a 4/3 adapter and a sigma 105mm macro lens and prepare to be amazed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts