Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a two orange galacs, i think they are both male, but no real way of confirming the second as he wont call with the other male there. they both sleep in the same hide, even though there are tons of hides available.

anyway on to my story. i have a nice jewl orchid that had some decay in the middle of the leaves, couldnt figure it out. then i see my confirmed male smacking this slug on my orchid eatting at the leaf. of course the frog never was able to get it in its mouth but was funny as hell watching it smack the snail 5 or 6 times :D. now i confirmed a slug was in the tank:mad: (and where there is one there is...:( ). so i wait til 10 min after lights out, grab the flash light and open the door, both frogs in their standard hide, i bent in to start looking and BRRRRRRRRR... i backed up and was in aww how loud he was (ive only heard him call this last spring about 10-12 different times , so not often.) i turned the flash light off for a sec and called the GF over and told her the story... she then asked me "why are we in the dark talking about frogs?" then i regained my train of thought! get the slugs OUT! clicked on the light bent into the 40 breeder found one slug, pulled it out and bent it in again BRRRRRRRRRRRRR! shined the flash light at the frog in the hide , throat still puffed up BRRRRRRRRRRRR... i was like WTF!?!

anyway pulled three slugs and i ll keep checking every night for a while...
by the way these are the ONLY 2 plants they have targeted out of the many species of plants in the viv that i imagine would be more palatable.

So do frogs announce their presence ??? i cant find anything in any article about this? when i go in the tank tonight, i assure you a camera will be rolling hahahh, but i hope it wasnt a coincidence.... but well see

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Careful, after the initial warning, the next step is attacking. He'll sink his inch long fangs into the fleshy portion of your forearm! After that it's only a matter of time before you have and undeniable craving for melonogasters!
Slugs and snails LOVE iceberg lettuce. Throw a piece in and swap it for a fresh piece in 24 hours. Works well to clear out most of those slimy critters. You may have to keep on top of it for a while.

·
Registered
19,342 Posts
The exposure to the light can cause calling by a male. I have had male pumilo start to call in the middle of the night simply because a light was on in the next room.. I've also has leucomelas call in the middle of the night when the moon was full and shining directly into the room. It isn't a warning to you, it is a warning to other frogs... the male is stimulated to call by the light.

Ed

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you ed! it was interesting how it was such a quick reaction. ill see if i can get it on vid tonight when i check for those nasty little slugs

also its quite amazing how loud they are when your that close to them... im sure those females must be part def to put up with that

·
Registered
635 Posts
The exposure to the light can cause calling by a male. I have had male pumilo start to call in the middle of the night simply because a light was on in the next room.. I've also has leucomelas call in the middle of the night when the moon was full and shining directly into the room. It isn't a warning to you, it is a warning to other frogs... the male is stimulated to call by the light.

Ed
Correct. I played with the light scenario a few times. Since i have my leuc tank in my vivarium, i would have the automated light on at 8 in the morning. Males start calling right after it is turn on. I had to change the timer to 9:30 so i can get my sleep :D Leucs are really loud. :mad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts