Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 6 Leucs in a 75 gallon viv. Five of them are approximately a year and a half old, and the sixth is approximately two and a half years old. I have never heard calling from the tank. At what point should I decide that they are all female? (I have tried playing several sound files of leucs calling with no response.)

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
At that age, most males would have called if they wanted. My suggestion would be to mist very heavily and play recordings. If that still doesn't work, see if you can post pictures for people to guess at their sex here.
Bryan

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Hi Dan,

I wouldn't assume that you have all females. Sometimes, living in a large group will actually inhibit males from calling. If you can take photos of the frogs and post them here, I'm sure you'll get some good idea from the members here as to which sexes you have.

Take care, Richard.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all the responses. I will try to get some pictures when I get home from work and get them up tonight. Would individual pictures or group pictures be preferable?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Probably a bit of both... individual pictures from the top down as well as sometimes from the side work, but leucs can be tricky to sex since they are naturally a plump frog. Because of this, having some pictures comparing 2-3 side by side can be useful since my males and females all show size differences. So if they are all adults, when you put the biggest next to the smallest, it might become surprisingly obvious that you most likely have both sexes.
Bryan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts