Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what type of wood 'California Driftwood' would be? I won 3 nice pieces (8-12") on eBay....all for 3 dollars. I'm guessing it would do ok in a viv due to the fact that it had been afloat for quite somtime before being collected.

-Bill J.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Bill,

I've done the same thing. I bought a lot of driftwood from eBay (though mine was from Orgeon) and it seems to do great in the viv.

I like it so much that i'll continue buying it from there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aaron,

Agreed!! I was the only bidder on these 3 pieces at the bidding started at 3 dollars for all 3 pieces...after 3 hours I had won the items. I'll definitely be going back to ebay for my wood as each piece is sight seen.

-Bill J.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i wouldn't worry about what kind of wood it is. Being from california, it's probably costal wood. Anything that can survive the ocean can probably survive a vivarium. looks smooth and cool. i like it!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, it realy depends on where it's from. on one side of the freeway i get redwood and the other euciliptus(sp). then over the hill, california oak. these all are found in either the fresh water rivers on the banks or down at the ocean. i'd be worried about the salt content but if the moss likes it then i'm sure frogs will too. is it heavy or light conpared to it's size? from the image it looks like euciliptus or some oak or other but not redwood.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea i just spent a week in san diego and i was amazed at the varied tree life. litteraly palms and evergreens growing in the same yard with crazy tropical plant gardens. good point that saying "california driftwood" is like saying "midwest beef" no telling what you are getting =)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts