Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi !!! anyone ever fed his darts calciworms? I just want to give them as treat once in a while. Would that be ok ?

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
I have fed Soldier Fly Larvae to Bumble Bee Toads with mixed reviews.

The tiniest were accepted but the slightly larger were taken and spat out i surmise it was because they found the urts disarming.

If you are feeding Solder Fly larvae I recommend taking them out of the undersized, under ventilated sales cup into something bigger and give them good food. I fed mine dandilion greens, tetra min flake and moistened reptimin pellets. I misted the greens for them which also served as harborage and put in enough food to finish before it perished. Thats just how i like to do it.
Follow your nose and eyes and keep them clean.

There are many ways of keeping SFL as they are so easy to feed. Generalists to the max.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
A long time ago a frog keeper anecdotally said that after feeding soldier fly larvae to their tincs and terribilis, the worm got stuck in the frogs' throat or burrowed out of the frog and the frog died. Now, it was noted in this thread that another person got the same batch and had frogs get sick after feeding them. There was a possibility they were not true phoenix / calciworms though. Personally, I would just stick to fruit fly larvae, small waxworms, and not risk feeding them to dart frogs as they are pretty large even at a small size to begin with. I have used mealworms in the past but if they are too big I've had my female cobalt choke on them and spit them out despite enjoying them if they're small enough.

Worm sticking out of my frog???

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
I would have to agree that I am somehow uncomfortable with their vivacity as well. I used the tinys and froze the rest to give thawed to my lizards. They loved the flies as well. A handsome fly i must add.

I was looking for a varietal treat but settled on the occasional neo waxworm instead.

But if anybody does feed these to herps, please remove them from their undersized mosh pits into some decent invert colony husbandry so that they can be better food.

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
The industry calling them calci worms just really ticks me off somehow. So typical.

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
This topic interests me. I couldnt put my finger on it but there is something about these SFL, that made me vaguely uncomfortable.

I dont know what to think about the eating thru a frog thing but i do think for the most part that they are often fed out near starving for sated sustenance.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
I wouldn't use them for dart frogs, but for larger frogs they are fine. I have fed them to my firebellied toad and he likes them, but the feeding response with mantellas and dart frogs isn't great so why waste money anyway? I know they're being studied now as a possible substitute for fish meal for farm raised fish, and chickens go nuts for them. Fruit fly larvae though make a good supplement for dart frogs on occasion but can be a pain to harvest.

·
Banned
2,454 Posts
A small miso strainer comes handy for drosophila larvae. A detached Tea Ball half substitutes reasonably well. Drop a larvae laden lump of media in, rinse clean with with a couple squirts from spray bottle.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Have raised hundreds of froglets and toadlets feeding hatchling micro sized soldier fly larvae. They are very useful because of how easily they can be gut loaded with almost anything. You will have a hard time finding small enough soldier fly larvae though unless you know someone who has a soldier fly farm or breed them yourself.
Toadlets transitioned from springtails straight onto gutloaded and dusted soldier fly larvae grew MUCH faster than those fed on fruit flies alone. I gut loaded them with a food mix made from pea protein powder, nutritional yeast flakes, fish food and spirulina powder.
Keeping them confined to a food dish is a challenge though and any that escape into the cage will disappear and eventually reappear as adult flies. If you put them in a metal jar lid where the edges slightly curve inwards and dust them then they wont escape for a while but the moment they become even slightly moist they can climb sheer glass if they want to and nothing will keep them in place.
I can believe that frogs may have got sick after eating them if the larvae had been fed on something inappropriate or unusual as they will eat literally anything organic but if the story about one burrowing out of a tincs throat is true then I strongly suspect there was something else wrong with the tinc and/or it died for unrelated reasons and then the larvae began eating it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts