Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought some Exo-Terra Calcimize for my new dart frogs thinking that I could introduce the calcium into the wildlife of the tank. I have a waterfall section with small pond/rock/leaf area that they love bouncing around in. I have been dosing the water per directions for 3 gallons (amount in tank and pump at given time) and I'm just wondering if any of you think that having calcium directly in the water that circulates the tank/plant life might help in the same way as a a clay background does to supplement calcium to our frogs?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would think that the calcium would mess up the pump after a while. I use Repti safe in my frogs water and it's r/o not tap. I never see mine hang out in the water only splash through it from time to time. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Calcium in the water will only help the frogs if they are absorbing the water by drinking or eating insects that have drank the water. So it may not get in high enough concentrations to amount to anything. I do not think it will hurt, it just may not be helping. The dusting of insects has been a proven way for reptiles and amphibians to get there calcium and vitamins.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
What is the salt that is dissolved in the water that enables the calcium ions to go into solution..

In reality, this is actually a very poor method to supply calcium. Calcium for being a required nutrient has an extremely narrow safe range. If it ends up above that range, it can cause conditional deficiencies in the consuming animals.

I've got suspicions about that product as it makes a lot of claims (including neutralizing chlorine and chloramine). You should also keep in mind that adding salts to the water can increase problems with salt formation on places where water evaporates.

Ed

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually don't use any water conditioner-- I've been pulling water out of my freshwater fish tank to do water changes and transfer that over into the Terrarium. Since the tank has been set up (before frogs) the plants have been doing much better with my aquarium water. I think some of the nutrients in the water is helping, vs using distilled or bottled water. I use my freshwater test kit to make sure my levels stay good and that I wouldn't be poisoning the frogs with too much ammonia etc. But I do not know if the calcium levels are good enough hence the calciumize. I think this product is safe because what exo-terra is advertising is that it will neutralize water just like the repti-safe but ALSO adds calcium :). Hopefully that explains what I'm doing more thoroughly.
I will look into some of the supplements for dusting that way I know they are getting what they need. Thanks for your feedback--

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
But I do not know if the calcium levels are good enough hence the calciumize. I think this product is safe because what exo-terra is advertising is that it will neutralize water just like the repti-safe but ALSO adds calcium
The safety of these products is not regulated (as long as they aren't bad for humans). The effectiveness of these sorts of products are not regulated.

Adding calcium is not always optimal...

Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts