Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has ever done this?

I may be way off track but....
If frogs absorb thru their skin so well, could you make some diluted mix of water and calcium? Then while you feed them just take out your little dropper and drop the mix on them. This seems it would me a much better way of getting their vitamins to them.

I know there are a few really smart people out there and maybe someone knows the answer?

Regards,

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I think the problem would be that the frog has no control then what it takes in. When you use vitamins/calcium in powder form, on food items, the frog can either take it or leave it, if you were to make a solution, and drop it on it's skin, the frog gets what you give it, I would think it would be too easy to overdose them. I would'nt do it unless it was noted that an animal was lacking something.
Furthermore, if you were to make you're solution, there are probably some vitamins and minerals that dont dissolve well in water, would the frog absorb them, or would it just build up on their skin, possibly even blocking pores?

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Actually there should be better absorbtion via the digestive tract as opposed to the skin as the digestive route is adapted for this purpose. With regards to vitamins I am unaware of any factor that limits the uptake via either the digestive or other route. If this were the case then we would not see toxicity due to overdosing as the animal would not absorb the excess vitamin.

You would need a supply of a readily dissolved calcium salt as calcium carbonate is pretty insoluable. I would suggest trying calcium gluconate.
However one of the items to keep in mind here is that you are not going to be supplementing anything other than calcium (remember D3 is needed to metabolize calcium) and that you are going to stress the animals by dripping a calcium solution on the animals.
It is easier to alternate a calcium carbonate dust with a vitamin supplement on the insects if you are worried about a calcium deficiencies.

That said, I have used calcium gluconate drops on animal that have shown symptoms of calcium deficency such as rigor brought on by stress.

Ed

1 - 3 of 3 Posts